Author Topic: growing carrots in an old bath  (Read 1576 times)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
growing carrots in an old bath
« on: January 10, 2008, 00:53:26 »
We had our bathroom refitted and are planning to use the old bath at the allotment. The plan is to drill a few holes and fill with spent compost/soil mixture and use for planting carrots. We are going to clad around the bath with wood to make it look nicer. Will putting expandy-foam inbetween the bath and claddy provide insulation and help with germination?

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
Re: growing carrots in an old bath
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 09:40:00 »
in a word, yes but as there are so many varieties of carrots that you can sow from March onwards and leave in the ground almost until the next March, I'm not sure it will add anything. I guess it depends on your location and if it is a particularly cold one then it might be worth it but warming the soil from above is another or additional option

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 21:15:43 »
Sounds cool to me Sparkly, and it should be high enough to keep the dreaded fly out!
 ;D

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 22:28:34 »
I seem to recall reading a funny story about Jeannine  finding a bath on the side of the road and stopping to collect it  ;D. I think she is the one to ask about carrots-in-a-bath techniques  ;)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 16:02:19 »
I'm sure there were a few pictures of her bathing in the bath on the lottie  :-[ , or is that my imagination running away with me.  ???   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 16:34:22 »
I'm sure there were a few pictures of her bathing in the bath on the lottie  :-[ , or is that my imagination running away with me.  ???   ;D ;D ;D
just your imagination, once again, running away with you, I'll name that tune in 1  ;D

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 16:41:19 »
I want a bath to sink into the ground as a wildlife pond - I keep looking at skips!

Chantenay

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 17:54:51 »
Would there be a way of keeping slugs out of a  carrot bath? It sounds a clever idea, but I just can't figure it out - would they get up through the drainage holes?
Chantenay.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 19:01:07 »
Chantenay, I thought I'd outwitted the slugs and god knows how the buggers got there, but the bath was heaving with them .. it was like a motel  :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal