Author Topic: Feeding??  (Read 2348 times)

gt568

• Not So New ...
Feeding??
« on: April 10, 2008, 16:50:00 »
I'm new to chicken keeping so please bear with me, I'm probably worrying about nothing.

Since I've let my 2 hens out of the run during the day and into the whole garden they seem to eat hardly any of the pellets from the feeder.  Is this because they are munching from the garden ect or should I be worried?

MTIA.

beanie3

• Half Acre
Re: Feeding??
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 20:54:49 »
Hi!

Over the past few months mine have been let out further a field (out of the run to venture into the garden)

They only venture out when i am around ie after work and at weekends- but i notice a significant difference at weekends and how much corn/pellets they have leftover - they enjoy the garden muching too much!

So i wouldnt overly worry......i hope that helps

Beanie x

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 22:20:45 »
Since I've let my 2 hens out of the run during the day and into the whole garden they seem to eat hardly any of the pellets from the feeder.  Is this because they are munching from the garden ect or should I be worried?

They will be scratching up beasties to eat all day long.  Not including  eating any berries and other foilage they can get into.  Including your veg & flower patch ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 23:40:55 »
Hiya,

If they've got access to grass they're probably munching on that rather than boring old pellets, I know mine would choose grass any day.

Jon

gt568

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 07:45:54 »
Hiya,

If they've got access to grass they're probably munching on that rather than boring old pellets, I know mine would choose grass any day.

Jon

Should I keep them in the run longer to make them eat pellets rather than the grass?

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 10:37:28 »
Eventually they can cause considerable mess and damage in the garden. I used to let mine out for an hour or so before dusk so that they would go back on there own.

Until Mr Fox discovered them, killing 12 in one session.

After that, the new birds were only let out in my presence, and only when there were no tasty vegetable to eat!

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage.html

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 17:38:36 »
I let mine out for a wander today and all hell let loose!!!

One was chasing the other and then I saw that she had a worm and the other one wanted it.........they each had an end and then it broke in the middle and then they were happy because they both had a bit!!!!

Priceless - it was like a cartoon!

Louise
XX
Grow yer bugger grow!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 17:13:13 »
Hiya,

Jon

Should I keep them in the run longer to make them eat pellets rather than the grass?

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 17:14:00 »
Hiya,

Jon

Should I keep them in the run longer to make them eat pellets rather than

the grass?

would you rather eat stale dried food instead of a fresh buffet?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal