Author Topic: The nasty stomach bug that is currently around.  (Read 8953 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
The nasty stomach bug that is currently around.
« on: January 10, 2008, 20:33:07 »
Hi, does anyone have any personal knowledge of this one, eg what starts first etc.

I drove a child home yesterday who had hurt his foot, today he wasn't in school, phone call revealed he, his Mum and sister had the bug.

Tonight about 4.30 I started with 'the runs' now I have stomach cramps and am feeling just a wee bit sick.

I was in his house about 15 minutes, held a baby, everyone looked fine.

Could I have picked it up.

Usually if I get a tummy bug I feel sick first,then  vomit, then cramps, then the runs, this is odd.

Any ideas, I am not sure if I should phone in sick, I don't want to but .......

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

debster

• Hectare
Re: The nasty stomach bug that is currently around.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 21:35:35 »
yes you need to phone in sick it definatly sounds as though you have the bug, i had it recently i had no vomiting or diarrhoea just stomach cramps, infection control at my hospital said it seems to be affecting people differently especially those who have a certain amount of immunity.
you should not return to work until 48 hours after the last symptom. it is an air borne virus so that could have been long enough in the house to get it or you may have caught it at school
keep yourself well hydrated, preferably with something isotonic, dioralyte or lucozade or similar and rest it will really knock it out of you
hope you feel better soon
 :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 22:05:15 »
Debster thank you, I am trying to ignore it, I don't feel well but I don't feel ill. I have been sick once since the first post. I have some anti spasmodic tablets here that the doc gave me last summer when I got a really bad tummy upset that doubled me up, still well in date Colorfac MR, maybe I should take them for the cramps.

Usually if I vomit etc, within a couple of hours I am OK again and get on with things  , but I am a bit nervous since last summer as I was dreadfully ill  for several days.

I don't do ' being ill ' very well, I hate going to bed and so I battle on  in the hope it goes away.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 22:15:07 »
I expect it is the norovirus bug that is hitting everywhere at the moment, Our hospital has been closed to visitors since before xmas. Unfortunately my wife was taken there today with a broken ankle so even with all the disinfectants at the entrances we expect it to start any time now.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 00:34:16 »
I had the sqwits over xmas, starts off with a high temp, then you explode on the bog. Then for the next four days you eat a meal then explode 20 ~ 30 mins later, after bad stomach cramps. I then stopped eating properly (just had dry toast and drank water) for a couple of days - then i was back on solids at the other end. I felt slightly sick at the beginning only.

Its not nice - just drink plenty of water, and eat very basic food..

I seem to have followed it up with a head cold, buckets of snot - which is on the way out now though, thank the lord.

......there's a lot of it about (as they say)

Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 00:36:04 »
yes you need to phone in sick it definatly sounds as though you have the bug, i had it recently i had no vomiting or diarrhoea just stomach cramps, infection control at my hospital said it seems to be affecting people differently especially those who have a certain amount of immunity.
you should not return to work until 48 hours after the last symptom. it is an air borne virus so that could have been long enough in the house to get it or you may have caught it at school
keep yourself well hydrated, preferably with something isotonic, dioralyte or lucozade or similar and rest it will really knock it out of you
hope you feel better soon
 :)

Dont drink lucozade, makes you feel much worse. It even says so on the bottle...
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 07:14:08 »
Jeannine, sometimes you just have to stop and tell your brain and your body to stop yelling at you.

Take a couple of days off, stay warm and stay hydrated. Curl up with the DS and make the hubbie green with envy with all the fun you will have :)

Hugs

Cam

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 10:45:38 »
Morning all, thanks for all the practical advice.

I have done the toiilet run all through the night and am still doing so, work was out, it ended up as not an option anyway.

Once I started to vomit I couldn't stop for several hours, so food drink are impossible.

I have sipped a cup of tea this am and so far it hasn't come back, but the runs are still strong, goodness knows how.

I feel like I have een hit by a double decker bus and in a lot of pain now too as unable to take ususal medications.

This really horibel, me advice to anyone is steer clear of anyone that has it.

John was supposed to be on a seminar for a speeding ticket tomorrow and has phoned up to ask what he should do and they have told him not to go and recheduled it, they say he will be bound to get it and they don't want it there.

Back to my rocking chair.

XX Jeannine

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 11:24:44 »
Hope you are going to feel better soon. We always drink flat Coca Cola in our house when a stomach bug hits. I don't know why it works,but it does - I was advised to drink it by a nursing tutor when I was ill when a student nurse.

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 11:30:42 »
Hope everyone who has been or is still suffering is on the mend.  Like Tin Shed we drink flat cola too, or warm water with a bit of sugar dissolved in it to stop the dehydration if nothing else stays down or in!

Salt sticks to eat to start with - then plain boiled rice or cooked carrots once things start to improve. 

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 13:58:06 »
Poor you Jeannine  :(. I had the runs with stomach cramps for 6 weeks prior to Christmas. so I feel for you.Then I was taken off a medication I had been taking for yonks and bingo that problem was solved. I'm sure your norovirus bug will clear up soon, but in the meantime you must drink even if most of it comes straight back. That is SO important for your kidney function.

(hugs) Tricia

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 15:02:55 »
pick up some rehydration sachets from the chemist and mix this into a bottle of water and sip from this.

That way your body is picking up something before its emptyed first, and be prepared for John to get this. Sad but true.

Take Care, but your not alone aparatly 3million people have had this.

nippie

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 15:29:43 »
I started reading this and thought that if you had Norovirus you would know.
Well now you know  ::)
Everyone has given you good advice, rest, stay warm and sip as much water as poss.
And yes I'm afraid John is bound to get it.
It is so contagious that 15 mins in the house is more than enough.
Hope you start to feel better very soon. ((((hugs))))  (Oh no that means I got it now!)
Friendship isn't a big thing.
Its a million little things.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 18:28:05 »
Get well soon Jeannine, I am thinking of you and send cyber hugs.   :-*

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 21:35:21 »
Well I have had a half a yoghurt and a slice of dry toast, so far it has stayed down, still on the loo though, feeling indescribably awful, so weak and everything including the roots of my hair hurts, but I am hanging in.

XX Jeannine

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 21:52:56 »
i would avoid dairy jeannine because it is good at causing further d and v flat coke works because it is almost pure sugar providing it is not diet, plain mashed potato is often good because it is starchy but a little of what you fancy keep the flids up though

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2008, 11:24:50 »
Good Morning all, I seem to be almost good as new today, just very tired but all else seems to have stopped.hopefully it won't start again if I eat today but I am managing tea and other drinks,including flat coke as suggested and electrolyte stuff, which is disgusting to drink but does a good job!!

Thanks for all the good wishes, I think I can sort out the swap parcel now.

XX Jeannine

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 13:46:31 »
Glad to hear you are on the mend, Jeanine. Just remember to taKe it slowly for the next few days.

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 22:45:24 »
I had that one over christmas, had a fever first and felt like i was going to pass out for a couple of days, runs and then feeling sick but still having an appetite, the worst thing about this bug is it wipes you out completly, now ive got a headcold and feel tired, dont know whether its the same bug or not, or whether ive just caught it because my immune system is fragile and ive caught something else!!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 00:07:27 »
there is Multibionta Immune Support if you feel like you need a pick me up its certainly a decent brand of multi vit and one i take if i have been run down for a while.

http://www.multibionta.co.uk/immunesupport.htm

Multibionta Immune Support, Probiotic Multivitamin, is formulated to help ensure you get the nutrients you need to help your immune system function at its best. Containing Tribion Harmonis™ Probiotics, proven to help support the immune system, and is specially formulated with vitamin C, zinc, Bioflavonoids and Green Tea Extract to help you stay healthy during the winter.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal