Author Topic: Pond maintenance - should I 'prune' some of the water plants ?  (Read 1936 times)

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
so my pond is now fairly established (year and a half old) and the oxygenating weed, which was tiny when I chucked it in, has filled the pond and is now poking through the surface.

The water is fabulously clear and there is also a King Cup and Yellow Flag Iris in the pond. 

I had frogs and lots of tadpoles through last year and am unsure as to whether I should pull out some (half ?  more / less ??) of the oxygenating weed to make some 'space'.  From memory I had frogspawn in March I think, so I'm guessing I should remove it before then if I'm going to do it.

Would welcome advice as to what you do with your pond.  Also, should I get one of those children's fishing nets and 'dredge' the bottom of the pond or will that disturb the inhabitants too much ?

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: Pond maintenance - should I 'prune' some of the water plants ?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 01:29:15 »
I remove about half the oygenating weed each winter. Remember to leave it on the edge of the pond for a bit after removing it in case you accidentally remove something that wants to crawl back into the pond.

I only scoop out some of the  sludge from the bottom once every 3-4 years but I do it in spring or summer as some of my frogs hibernate in it during the winter.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Pond maintenance - should I 'prune' some of the water plants ?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 01:59:46 »
Yes its the male frogs which hibernate in the sludge, they wait there to be first in the queue when the females arrive......they(females) hibernate in your compost bins and under logs
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal