Author Topic: Bullfinches and Long Tailed Tits  (Read 1726 times)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Bullfinches and Long Tailed Tits
« on: December 21, 2007, 17:50:35 »
Its been a great week in my garden for all the wrong reasons because it has been sooooo cold for the wildlife.  I have been constantly defrosting water dishes and feeding the poor little things.  But, I had the plesure of a visit from a pair of Bull finches,  what beautiful birds.  Last time I saw them was the day of my Mothers funeral in March.  Today, I had 5 Long Tailed Tits.  I haven't seen them since last Winter, so a nice surprise in an otherwise sad day.  (heard of 2 deaths this morning)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Bullfinches and Long Tailed Tits
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 18:52:28 »
our bullfinches haven't turned up yet, Carol..nor have the long tailed tits, we have green and bullfinches, great and bluetits, lots of sparrows, a couple of robins, lots if starlings and the old familiar collared doves, cheer my day up, watching them  ;D

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 19:30:42 »
I was only saying on a previous thread how i had my first gold finch in the garden this week, so i know how you feel spotting the bullfinch.
We were on holiday in Devon a few weeks back where i spotted many bullfinch and they are stunning birds.

Funny how certain things remind you of certain tragic events, as with regard to your Mothers funeral, mine is the snowdrop for my Mums death, makes me weep every time I have my first sighting each year.

Sorry to hear you have had such bad news today  :'(

My garden has been a flurry of activity to watch too, thank goodness  that I found four bags of sunflower hearts that i didnt realise i had after a tidy up the other day, i know some little fellas that will really appreciate them  ;)

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 21:28:35 »
i had a pair of bullfinches year before last but only saw the female which i thought was a blackcap, anyway lasst year i saw the male and it was a pair of bullfinches, i do hope they return, such beautiful colourings.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 22:15:12 »
Carol. Sorry to hear you had sad news today.
I wonder how many of us having been watching the birds in our gardens :) I also mentioned on previous post that I have Goldfinches (plus loads of sparrows, collared doves, just 2 blackbirds and starlings). Every time I go in the kitchen to make tea I find myself gazing out of the window to watch the birds. Great pasttime :) :)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 22:31:06 »
Hi Lorna.   The deaths were just before Christmas.  The funerals were both last Monday 31 Dec.  We could only attend one.

I am soooo pleased you have the Goldfinches, I read that in another post.  Lovely litle birds.   You keep watching and who knows maybe the bullfinches will pass through.  They are lovely birds as well.  The male is a beautiful pink with a black head. 

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 10:30:13 »
I got four bullfinch in my garden yesterday, two male and two female, I was estatic  ;D

Hope you are ok Carol x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal