Author Topic: 8x8 versus 6x10  (Read 4831 times)

Macy

• Quarter Acre
8x8 versus 6x10
« on: January 10, 2008, 11:06:32 »
Hi,

I'm a long time lurker finally getting moving on the prospective veg plot for this year and I'm looking for advice on which greenhouse to get...

In the price range I can probably get to, it's looking like either an 8x8 or a 6x10. Even though the 8x8 would give a bigger area, would it give more useable space than narrower 10 foot beds? What implications for heating/cooling between the two?

Given the tales of woe below with greenhouses blowing down, the gales of recent days and the relative exposure of where it'll be going I was kinda thinking of the Rhino/ Baby Rhino from Greenhouses Direct. (Its birthday gifts specifically given for a greenhouse, so it would be a new one I'd be looking at)

Any help, comments or recommendations gratefully received!

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: 8x8 versus 6x10
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 12:49:09 »
Welcome to the site, Macy. We like long-time-lurkers who finally see the folly of their ways.

I think most folks' general advice with greenhouses is buy the biggest you can afford. At the plot, we've got an 8 by 8 which is unheated (so I can't help you on that bit) and last summer I packed one side with tomatoes and the other with aubergines & peppers (all in 10" pots), with 2 cucumbers at the end.

This was far more than my greenhouse at home, which is 6 by 10. But that one is heated, has a heated sandbench and a double sink with hot & cold running water! And at the moment it's full of overwintered plants & cuttings.

On balance, I don't think it matters: it depends how you are going to use it. And in six months you'll find it won't be big enough!

luckydog

• Half Acre
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 12:51:30 »
I bought a new greenhouse last spring & can recommend this company for good service & great value.

http://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/

Luckydog  ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 13:31:30 »
I would go for the wider one particularly if you are going to have beds up either side with a central walkway.

Nothing worse than pushing through a virtual rain forest when the tomato plants are fully grown.

To gain space you do not need to take the path up the full length of the greenhouse then you can have a bed at the end.

This is an eight foot wide greenhouse, imagine what it would be two foot narrower!!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 16:19:43 »
I notice that the watering can didn't move an inch while they were growing!!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 16:29:02 »
Welcome, Macy, to this lively forum.

More years ago than I care to remember we bought an 8wide x 6long greenhouse, and found it really comfortable for growing and moving around in it.  And also for ventilation.  My OH always wanted another, so he could join the two together and double the size, but the line was discontinued, regrettably.  Then in the storm of 1987 a couple of trees fell and from an upstairs window we spied - yes, a greenhouse identical to ours in a neighbour's garden.  So we did a deal with them, we paid them  for a new GH, took down a couple of fence panels and transported the whole lot into our garden.  We took down one end of ours, put glass between the two and lo and behold we had a 8 x 14 ft greenhouse. 
The Tuscan Beaneater

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 17:02:52 »
I notice that the watering can didn't move an inch while they were growing

Look a bit closer Tim it has slightly    : ;) ;)

Have to say thats its normal parking place, strange how one gets into a habit of doing the same things.

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 13:17:11 »
Teegee do you grow direct in soil.? If so do you change the soil at all.? I grow direct into soil this is my 3rd year this way, i take out about 2 sacks of soil and replace with manure.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 14:27:26 »
Hi Northerner.

I grow directly as well. I replace the soil on a three year rolling basis between the greenhouse and polytunnel using bin compost and anything else I can lay my hands on.

I take out about a spit and a half-it`s hard work but touchwood I haven`t had any disease problems

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 17:24:31 »
Teegee do you grow direct in soil.

I have three greenhouses so I can rotate my tomatoes with peppers,cucumber & squashes.

Plus in my big greenhouse I use either end as part of my rotation programme.

So basically I have a three to four year rotation plan, all I do is  'muck' the beds each year.

If I am using ring culture I change the soil choose what I am growing as can be seen at the end of this slide show; http://tinyurl.com/39hocg

Macy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 14:54:51 »
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure. Having a bit of rethink after actually getting current prices rather than the 3 year old catalogue I was basing my greenhouse prices on  :o

No looking polytunnel instead, for more bang for my buck, considering the exposed nature of the site I'd be less worried about a tunnel than I would glass. I've done the search and tried to weigh up the pro and cons. Anything major that might influence me one way or the other?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal