Author Topic: another forget the book  (Read 1566 times)

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
another forget the book
« on: January 29, 2008, 13:32:08 »
So often we read you must not plant camellias in the open where they will get early morning sun.This one has been in this place for about 15 years each year we get plenty of flowers. We may loose a few with hard frost but we had quite a hard one two nights ago so you can judge for yourselves.The variety is Donation.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
Re: another forget the book
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 15:01:42 »
Lovely  ;D brave little flower isn't it ... mine has yet to bloom but there are some fat little buds just waiting for a wee bit of warmth!!  ;)

... yet another variety is totally blind this year  :'( ... why would that be do  you think???  :-\
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 15:38:03 »
I have them out all over the place, full sun, shade, semi shade etc. We are lucky that the sea warms the air and a frost will only happen just after the sun goes down and will thaw before sun up. If it is extra hard the air usually warms up before the sun hits the buds.

If you are an early riser a spay of water to wash off the frost will help if your plant is in an exposed area.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 18:04:42 »
The conditions in Kent and Cowes are considerably different from up here in't frozen north.

Quite apart from the fact that no self respecting camellia would be even considering putting it's nose above the parpet yet.  We plant them against a west facing aspect/fence.  If you plant them against an east facing fence, they could get badly frosted, and when the sun gets on the plants they will be badly scorched, and your beautiful flowers will turn brown.

Your coastal conditions are totally different from here in North Staffs.  I don't suppose you are bothered much with frost, but up here it is late May, early June before it is safe to plant out summer bedding/tender veg.  Global warming ain't having an enormous impact round here!!

valmarg

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 21:25:13 »
We still have frosts but not the real damaging  type that you get up there in the frozen wastelands of the north. My spring usually starts about St. Valentines day,with hardly a threat of a frost.  Sometimes there is a hiccup but not very often. Mind you living just a few metres above sea level makes global warming a bit more of a threat to my garden.  I will not have room for plants once I have built a jetty for my new boat. ;D

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 21:53:41 »
Well ACE, next Saturday will be Candlemass.

If Candlemass be clear and bright, Winter will be back for another bite.
If Candlemass be cloud and rain, Winter will be gone, and not come back again.

If your Spring starts round St Valentines Day, it is considerably earlier than up here.

As I said, bedding plants/hanging baskets cannot safely be put outside until late May/early June.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 19:34:22 »
Well the local forecast for the next two/three days mucks up my little pome.  High winds and blizzards don't exactly feature in it :(

valmarg

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 22:07:18 »
Waiting for the invite from Ace for a fishing trip-honest!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal