Author Topic: Limas from Franchi  (Read 1110 times)

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
Limas from Franchi
« on: January 12, 2008, 11:16:08 »
just got "Lima" beans from Franchi. The big writing says Fagiolo Rampicante Lima (Climbing bean Lima). The small writing says Dwarf French Bean.

Any thoughts? Is this the first year they've offered them??

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
Re: Limas from Franchi
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 10:19:21 »
This is the description from their website (the seed packet is labelled as you indicated):

Climbing shelling bean with large, flat, red on white colouration. Large pods contain 2-3 beans. BOIL BEFORE EATING. 250g. Sow Apr-Jul. UK/EC ONLY

Climbing shelling bean with large, flat, red on white colouration. Large pods contain 2-3 beans. BOIL BEFORE EATING. 250g. Sow Apr-Jul. UK/EC ONLY

I would suggest you take this up with them as it would appear to be a clear case of misidentification.  I have found them quite helpful on the phone with previous queries I have had.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 10:29:28 »
I sent them an email -but no reply. IMHO I'm happy to think they're limas

Rob08

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 10:34:59 »
Please let me know how they grow out. 

If they do not perform as expected do follow up with Seeds of Italy - they are quite a good company so I would expect them to do something (correct the description on the website, compensate you, etc).

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 10:45:58 »
Rob08 - I can send you some if you want. I may be a bit too far North for them to do well anyway

Rob08

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 10:51:39 »
Rob08 - I can send you some if you want. I may be a bit too far North for them to do well anyway

Thank you for the offer but I am ok on bean supplies now.  I have pretty much run out of growing space as it is and have less than half of what I want to try allocated...  Might be worth looking at for next year.

The good thing for you is that if they do turn out to be a dwarf bean you can grow them in containers, which might work out better for you in the North.

Strange thing is, Lima beans were considered unsuitable for the South African climate as well - apparently they require more humidity/heat than the Cape can offer (and with summers of between 27C and 42C that says a lot).

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 11:03:16 »
The plan is to grow these outside, but also to get some of the smaller seeded bush lima, grow them in pots in the greenhouse if it's a bad summer, or transplant them outside if it's a good one like 2006 (if good was the word). I imagine the big butterbean lima we're used to might struggle whatever the season is like, at least for me anyway. It may be that they're too much trouble, with no benefit over the beans we usually grow

Rob08

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 11:53:00 »
Hope it goes well and I REALLY hope the summer is a good one.  I think we all deserve that after last year.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal