Author Topic: Helppppppppppp  (Read 1325 times)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
Helppppppppppp
« on: January 06, 2008, 16:52:44 »
Every year I plant out sprouts and every year they end up like this....

Anyone know why?

jockomorrocco

• Quarter Acre
Re: Helppppppppppp
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 17:36:40 »

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 17:37:44 »
I know it is not really what you want to hear, but they are very pretty - can see why a friend of mine calls them fairy cabbages...

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 17:37:56 »
Hey mick, i think they look 'blown'?  I know they need to be really well firmed into the soil when you plant them but if you're already doing that i'm stumped!  I'm sure some more experienced veggie growers will be along shortly! x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 18:17:21 »
Poor Mick! I know how you feel. Bot even the 'florets' will be tasty if not overcooked.

Whilst not exhibition quality, these do show that plants put in in the normal Brassica way, even in newly rotovated soil, can surprise one?

Wish I knew how!

Oh, dear - should have cleaned the sink!!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 19:37:50 »
The first time I tried to grow sprouts they ended up like yours. This time I welded them in, mulched them like there was no tomorrow with mushroom compost and some straw on top, occasionally had a poke about to make sure they didn't need any more moisture and they have been brilliant. ;D
 Repeat after me.."I will succeed next time" ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 19:58:38 »
The angle of the stem suggests they have been rocked by the wind, as mine usually are, try staking them, I always forget!!  :-[

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 20:05:57 »
Tim, they look great.

Thanks for the help guys, maybe its worth another go.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 20:19:30 »
For sure have another go, I am  :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 10:33:50 »
Could you you let us know (warts & all) how you plant them out and what type of soil you have, plus what variety are they?

The reason I ask is; As I have mentioned before I don't firm mine in (I water them in) I think I get a better root system this way.

I also think 'variety' plays a large part in the success you get so may I suggest you buy a few varieties and grow a few of each in the same location then compare them.

I have now found that 'Maximus' is the variety best suited to my soil.

Having said that each year I try a 'new variety' i.e. that is new to me

Last season I tried 'Cascade' and found them to be much taller and the sprouts were smaller a bit like Tims.

I do this simply because seed merchants are notorious at removing the varieties, that invariably you like, from their lists then you find yourself trying to find a replacement variety. At least this way I am partially prepared.

Plus I always buy F1 hybrids.

The two pictures below show my sprouts at Xmas and a trial I did with late  Cauli & Calabrese.

I tongue in cheek sowed some summer variety seeds (Snow Prince & Samson) and planted them out in July/August to see if I would have some veg for Xmas.

Alas they succumbed to the frosts in December but I at least got a picking so if this so called 'global warming' means anything one of these years I will have home grown Cauli & Calabrese on my plate at Xmas.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal