Author Topic: This is CRAZY!  (Read 2465 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
This is CRAZY!
« on: July 02, 2004, 06:50:12 »
Birds!! If I had wanted b...y sunflowers, I would have sowed them. They grow much better than the grass. Must be a very careless bunch to leave this lot?? = Tim
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 06:54:24 by tim »

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:This is CRAZY!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 09:24:05 »
I keep finding them popping up in my garden too. I bet the slugs won't eat those ones, unlike the ones I sowed for the competition.  :'(
gone to pot :D

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 09:46:26 »
Birds are very messy eaters! I have to admit that I had the same problem as you, and eventually moved my feeding pole to near the patio. I have put a large shallow pot of soil underneath the main feeder so hopefully most of the fallen seeds fall into it. That way the ground feeders - blackbirds, robins etc. can get the leftovers! And I can weed the bowl rather than the grass!

Alternatively, if you are handy at DIY, make a wooden frame, with legs, and cover it with mesh. This will catch many of the seeds, allow drainage so they don't go mushy, and allow light to get to your grass underneath. It's also easy to move when you want to cut the grass!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

viv

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 11:18:17 »
Ihave bought new feeders and trays for underneath them and planted hebes underneath them so hopefully I won't get a huge patch of germinating bird seed!

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 12:54:17 »
Good luck Viv! It might help but I think you will still have to weed occasionally!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

viv

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 11:17:02 »
Oh I am sure I shall, I am still expecting some seed, just hopefully not as much as I have had!! ;)

LynneA

• Half Acre
  • Urban arable smallhoder
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 12:43:38 »
I now have wheat growing under one of my feeders.

I was thinking of buying the Wiggly Wigglers seed mix with Hemp seeds to see what happened......

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal