Author Topic: Freddie the Pheasant  (Read 2697 times)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Freddie the Pheasant
« on: April 06, 2004, 19:59:11 »
My resident pheasant  Freddie,  is a very happy chappy.  Not only has hehe found one lady pheasant but two.  There he was this morning standing on top of my wall as proud as could be and underneath 2 Ladies.  When he moved to the bird seed his ladies followed and he stood proudly over them while they ate.  Two weeks ago he had a good time chasing these females around my garden but now that spring is here ???he has become 'friendly' with them.  Wonder which one he chooses for a mate, or will he have both. ;D ;D

Toots

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Re:Freddie the Pheasant
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 17:07:15 »
Carol,he may well have at least both!

We also have resident wild pheasants.

There are two males,Mr P latest in a long line,who has about 9-10 of a following of the Ladies,and Rev P,with a large white clerical collar.He only has one lady,perhaps due to his religious leanings!However he is a bad lad and I am thinking of defrocking him as he forced his unwanted attentions on his poor lady when she was trying to fight him off.
Perhaps this is why Mr P is so successful.I have watched him work his way round his admiring flock,fluffing up his feathers and tail,bending round his body so he was looking big and magnificent,and wooing for all he was worth!

Usually he gets the bum's rush,Lady more interested in the food,but he just shakes himself,then trots off to the next Lady till he is graciously received.

I can spend ages watching them,are't they great fun! Originally we had one male and 3 females,but it changes year on year.

In a good year we have 3 males and 12-14 females.Then one or both other rivals are chased off by the resident Mr P. ;) ;D Cheers ,Toots

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 17:32:00 »
Toots
I am missing Freddie and his entourage at the moment.  The last time he came was when I was away from home and managed to scare the life out of our niece when she kindly came along to put out bird seed last thing at night for the next morning feed.  Daft or what!  I make arrangements for the wild birds while I am away from home!!  Freddie jumped out on Jennifer, she thought he was going to attack her.
Anyway, quite confident he will be back with his lady or ladies and maybe all the weans.  
Two years ago, a pheasant brought his lady wife and all the young and the whole lot sat on top of my wall.  I needed cheering up at the time and I was so pleased to see this complete family.
Have you ever seen a pheasant family having a chase.  They go round and round bushes,  so funny.  Like you I enjoy all the birds, but get a laugh at my pheasants.

Toots

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 19:45:31 »
Hi Carol, Freddie will likely be away helping his lady/s with the weans.Mr P his lady and their 2 chicks are around,great to see them.Hope yours are popping back too! Toots ;D

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004, 17:16:49 »
This should have the heading of Freda the pheasant, because now it is one of Freddies girls who is providing me with amusement.  She is certainly very tame at the moment and must be sitting on a nest somewhere because of her antics.  She is doing everything at great speed.  She dashes into my garden and straight up to the ground feeding bird seed table and almost attacks it.  If there is no feed there she waits until I go out and does not move while I put the seed down.  She wolves down whatever is there and then can I say has a 'poo' ::) and being a lady, she then washes her feet in the bird bath before having a drink ;D ;D.  I think she is hilarious and as quick as she comes she disappears again, but this afternoon with the tennis delayed I followed her and she is no daft bird.  She goes into the adjoining field and then flies over the hedges and main road to the field opposite, where I am sure she must have a nest.  Time will tell. ;D ;D

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004, 19:04:03 »
On my brother in law's farm there is a pheasant who knows when the shooting season starts. He is a regular visitor in the yard until the "Glorious 12th" and then vanishes! Not a day before, or a day after, but on the 12th!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Toots

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2004, 19:27:40 »
Carol and Plocket,what fun the pheasants are,tho not convinced of their brain power.Ours fall into two sets.Those who run towards me when I put out the food and those who run away wildly then stop and watch.

The other day,as I was feeding the birds,all was quiet qnd deserted till I suddenly heard a gentle 'croo,croo" from under the worcesterberry bush beside me.There she,sat one of the ladies awaiting her breakfast!

Mr P and 2 ladies still very much about with occasional visits from Rev P and his fan club of one! He is still trying to woo but getting the cold bot treatment!

Freda sounds a hoot and a devoted mum,Carol,it is so familiar trying to get everything done at breakneck speed ,you can sympathise with her!

Plocket,as for your B in L's  pheasant,he must have a calender or personal organiser stashed somewhere!  :D ::)

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2004, 20:03:58 »
Hi, all!
The pheasants are looking gorgeous at this time of year with their bright plumage. I can't say I enjoy EATING them though - much too strong for my taste!
We used to have a tame partridge when I was young (I feel about 100 some days!). It turned up one day on the doorstep, just waiting to be fed. We found out later that there had been a grouse shoot nearby and the partridge had obviously thought it wise to try and blend in with fellow fowls (domestic hens!).  It stayed with us for several weeks and then disappeared - hopefully back to its "home sweet home" :)

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 08:49:06 »
These birds can't be all that daft - they know a good thing when they find it - ie a human to feed them!!! We live on the outskirts of a town so don't see pheasants on a daily basis. But we regularly see them down the nearby lanes and think they look beautiful but brainless!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal