Author Topic: spuds orded  (Read 5645 times)

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
Re: spuds orded
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 11:03:15 »
Another vote for Kestrel. Could cope with being left to its own devices and not watered, plus it tasted good as a baker and kept well.

I'm thinking of planting first earlies again this year. I tried Forermost a few years ago but was disappointed with the flavour (insipid) and crop (about 4 potatoes per plant!). Home Guard sounds more flavourful and a better bet for my now hillside plot.

I see Trevor_D you changed from Home Guard to Lady Christl - do you think it has a better flavour and/or crops better?

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 13:32:19 »
I am so envious of your potato discussions! Here in France there aren't at all the same varieties!!!
But as last year I was (like yeah, like no, but like yeah...) soooo newbie, I had no idea what types of spuds to plant!!  ;D ;D ;D this year I have put on the Sherlock Holmes deerhunter and read all the A4A info about spuds and realized that not all spuds grow at the same time etc so this time I went to my spuds order armed and dangerous, tee hee!
I ended up ordering:
an early, Amandine, I have eaten them before and they are lovely, fine texture,
a mid-season, called Bernadette, which claims to be a good cropper (and mostly because it was on special offer...)
a maincrop called Caesar which they say is especially good for chips and baking, and a long storer so I will give that a go.
These all come in packs of 25 so I am not sure how many kilos I will actually end up with (assuming they grow of course). I hope to get something as seed potatoes are quite dear here, about 5 euros for 25 (that's about 3.50 sterling).
At least this year with your help I might look like more of an old hand  :D
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 13:51:00 »
Thanks Rob The Rake...I make ALL my own avatars. It's great fun  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 15:42:25 »
Had time to spare so I made you your own. Hope you like it.
Lauren  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 15:49:19 »
 just got the list from the allotment shop we use

1st earlies  pentland javelin, nadine, foremost, rocket, winston

2nd earlies wilja, nadine, kestrel, charlotte

main  majestic, desiree, king edward, sante, valor and ulster prince

all are 70p per kilo apart from ulster prince which are 80p per kilo..
there are a  couple I've never tried, foremost and majestic, anyone tried them  ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 16:00:03 »
Having a major try-out year...some will have to go in containers:

First Early
Lady Christl
Winston
Second Early
Anya
Charlotte
Vivaldi
Early Main
Belle de Fontenay
Mayan Gold
Salad Blue
Late Main
Rooster
Pink Fir
Pomeroy

All new to me except Pink Fir and Belle De Fontenay

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 20:11:39 »
Before I order some seed pots., can anyone tell me the most blight resistant ones?  Thanks.

docken

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 21:33:32 »
Another vote for Kestrel.  I've grown them under black plastic for the past 3 years and had great results.  You can lift them early when they're a bit small, but taste superb.
Another big plus is that slugs don't seem to fancy them at all!!  Even under the moist dark black plastic.
They can be chipped, roasted and boiled; but keep an eye on them when boiling since, if you turn your back on them, they rapidly turn to mush!! :)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2008, 00:10:42 »
Before I order some seed pots., can anyone tell me the most blight resistant ones?  Thanks.

Anya
Arran Pilot
Arran Victory             
Cara
Charlotte
Desiree
Estima
Foremost
Kerrs Pink
Lady Balfour
Majestic
Marfona
Maris Bard
Maris Peer
Maris Piper
Markies
Nadine
Pentland Crown
Picasso
Pomeroy
Ratte
Romano
Sarpo Axona
Sarpo Mira
Saxon
Sharpes Expres
Swift

Lauren  :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2008, 20:02:56 »
As I said before I will stick with Kestrel again this year and I got my earlies from B&Q today, Arran Pilot and Pentland Javelin.  :P    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2008, 20:10:50 »
Hi Tomatoada...
Bligth resistance is a strange thing... but
Growing First earlies, second earlies and early mains means you can get most out most years before it arrives... late mains like PFA you have to be lucky with the weather...
The Hungarian "Sarpo" are the current most blight resistant... but that could change once they are widely grown...
 :-X

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2008, 13:55:37 »
Hi all,
My first year growing spuds (or anything for that matter) and I went out and bought some seed pots yesterday.
Without any particular reasoning I went for Arran Pilot and Maris Piper.  I just wanted to clarify something that was touched upon earlier in this thread - Is it too early to start chitting them now?

It says on the bag to sow them in early March, and it seems like a really long time to be chitting them.

I was thinking of keeping them in a dark cupboard for a while and chitting later.  Kinda wish I hadnt bought them yet!

I live on the South Coast - might I be able to sow a bit earlier?

Thanks
James
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2008, 14:08:41 »
Set them to chit now, leaving them in a dark place will just make long spindly shoots which are no good... get them into things like egg boxes and put on top of a wardrobe out of the way...
 ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2008, 14:40:47 »
Hi JJ I chitted mine this morning, I left mine in the lottie shed which has a small window, so will let enough light in and be cold enough, as Saddad says a dark room will affect the shoots.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

morton

• Half Acre
Re: spuds ordered
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2008, 15:01:23 »
Most people around here put their earlies in all together and then complain when they get too big.
I always keep a bagful of earlies in the salad drawer at the bottom of the fridge much to the wifes displeasure. [Although she does not complain as much when she is eating them.]  I exclude light by keeping them in a proper potato bag [like the old PE kit bag for those that are as old as me]. Betterware or similar usually have them.
They can keep without shooting until June/July even, although Javelin do seem to keep the better than most.
Take them out of the fridge as and when required and put them straight in the trench as they do not need chitting then. They grow quickly at that time of year and you can be harvesting nice small earlies right through.
[Only problem, of course, is when we have the dreaded blight.]

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2008, 16:00:28 »
I've ordered Lady Christl, Kestrel and Picasso. They're all repeat buys because they have been good in the past. My experiment for this season is Kerr's Pink which i haven't tried before.

I can't for the life of me think why I chose it!!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 16:04:48 by grawrc »

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2008, 16:55:01 »
Anyone else notice that Pink Fir Apple seemed to resist blight better than other maincrops this year?
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2008, 17:59:05 »
In Terry Walton's book 'Life on a hillside allotment' He says that he grows mainly early spuds and does not bother with main crop as this way he has get a crop before blight sets in. What do you think to this theory. We saved many of our arran pilot by par-cooking and freezing last year and they were really good. How long will earlies keep in storage?

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2008, 13:19:27 »
Sorry, pg, only just picked up on your query about Lady Chrystl versus Home Guard. Home Guard taste better, but Lady C keeps the new potato texture (Home Guard, like most earlies, eventually goes a bit floury; though it's not as bad as some!). The main advantage of Lady C is that it's earlier than any I've yet found. My birthday's at the beginning of June and it hasn't failed to provide me with a picking yet. Last year I tried growing both, but the Lady C were so prolific we left half the Home Guard in the ground & dug them with the main crop. As they're not good keepers, that seems a bit of a waste. Perhaps if I just grew a dozen of each? On the other hand, I rather like morton's idea....

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2008, 23:41:01 »
I just re-read this thread, as today I worked out how many spuds I could fit in the space I had allowed for them, and put the right amount out to chit.  I found that I still have loads left. (newbie error i guess).

Just remembered what Morton said about keeping spares in the fridge for sowing later.  Sounds ideal!
Regarding the comment about keeping light out with a PE bag...   Im pretty sure the light goes out in fridge when I close the door (but can never be certain without opening the door to check!!  ;),  so im hoping the darkness and cold of the fridge will at least preserve them for a few months.

I toyed with giving them away at the site shop, or on freecycle, but its my first year and I dont know if I might need replacements!
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal