Author Topic: Kitchen Garden and Allotment 1925  (Read 2373 times)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Kitchen Garden and Allotment 1925
« on: January 01, 2008, 15:53:57 »
Was given this book by my 18 yr old son who has taken to visiting second hand bookshops and thought that his allotment mad mother would like it for Christmas! 
The book is fascinating and not that much seems to have changed on the gardening front except for some of the seeds seem to have disappearedinto the mists of time.

Anyway here are our instructions for January.

JANUARY - Sow early Mazagan broad beans. Manure and trench soils. Commence to sprout first early potatoes. Turn over eating potatoes in the store, and remove any decayed or diseased tubers. Sow Ailsa Craig and Cranston's Excelsior onion seed in a temperature of 55 deg. for ensuring early seedlings.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Kitchen Garden and Allotment 1925
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 16:31:43 »
we've got a book from world war two, telling how to turn the gardens into veggie patches..they used to zap everything with chemicals, apart from that, it's very similar to now  ;D

ugly gourd

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 17:37:51 »
My dad couldnt go to war bad leg so he ploughed up the local football pitch for growing veg imagine a football pitch sized allotment heaven ;D ;D ;D

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 23:08:35 »
Never hear of Mazagan so Googled:
...The fava or Broad Bean (Vicia faba) as it is more commonly known in England, is an ancient crop probably first domesticated in the eastern Mediterranean area in the Neolithic period (The Kitchen Garden, D. Stuart 1984). Athenians used the Broad Bean at feasts dedicated to Apollo. Romans ate them at funerals because departed souls were said to reside in them. Pythagorus forbade his students from eating them because he believed they were made from the same putrid material from which, at creation, man was made. They were also used in the Roman voting system, a black bean for a no vote and a white bean for a yes. Broad Beans were a staple throughout the medieval period and monestary records record harvests in the hundreds of pounds. The 18th century gardener had a great number of varieties to choose from and this popularity seems to last well into the 19th century. Burr, in Field and Garden Vegetables of America (1865), lists 19 varieties of fava or English beans. One of the most popular seems to be the Mazagan. Joseph Prentis writes that; "The small Magazan (Mazagan) is to be preferred to any other kind that I have seen." Mary Randolph in Virginia Housewife (1824), agrees and writes of the mazagan bean; "This is the smallest and most delicate species of the Windsor bean." This bean apparently was developed in a Portuguese settlement of the same name which is located on the coast of Morroco.
from here:
http://www.history.org/history/CWLand/resrch2.cfm
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 11:29:31 »
It's the port of Marrakesh, but I can't find a source for the bean today.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 13:20:48 »
Having done further reading it appears that the Mazagan is a dwarf kind of broad bean, used for Nov or Jan planting. For mid Jan planting the book recommends Beck's Dwarf Green Gem and in Feb and March Johnson's Wonderful Longpod and Taylor's Broad Windsor.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal