Author Topic: Pyracantha pruning  (Read 1154 times)

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
Pyracantha pruning
« on: December 28, 2007, 15:58:59 »
I'm trying to get mine thick and bushy, sort of hedge-like, I suppose, although it's growing over the front door.

How? I've cut back the thickest branches to 2-3 buds for the last couple of years, which has helped, but should I resort to hedge clippers/shears? And at what time of year?
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Re: Pyracantha pruning
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 21:41:29 »
I would stay with secateurs and I usually prune about July once you can see a good set of berries. Sometimes about now you will find several young shoots sticking out which can be cut back to keep it neat.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 23:33:00 »
It seems to me that every stem that is pruned on my pyracantha sends out at least 2 shoots from the point of pruning, so once they get started, they do bush out quickly, if you cut back a little as each shoot grows. This can be done throughout the year, but as laurieuk says, once it has berries, then really you want to prune to make a show of them.
Mind you, I don't know much about the different varieties, I have 'Orange Glow' which is quite vigorous, others might not be.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 00:46:52 »
If you want it thick and stocky you have to be prepared to sacrifice both flowers and blooms for a while and cut it regularly throughout the summer using machine is best.

Once it is thick enough more care is required with first cut after flowering, trying to leave as many berry clusters as possible. Subsequent cuts are less frequent but often have to be hand pruned to keep the berries.

Ouch!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal