Author Topic: Seedaholics Anonymous  (Read 11078 times)

VP

• Quarter Acre
  • Get me out of here!
    • Vegplotting
Re: Seedaholics Anonymous
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2007, 11:43:21 »
I only have a tiny garden trug to contain all my seeds - 200 packets so far.

BUT I can offer a new characteristic of what makes a seedaholic - I can't resist buying ANY magazine that has a free seed packet on the cover. I also send off for any free seed, bulb or plant offer inside, irrespective of whether I've got space for them.

That's why I had to take up guerilla gardening to support my habit...

My names VP and I'm a seedaholic...
Best wishes,

VP
---------------------------------------------
http://vegplotting.blogspot.com

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2007, 11:56:24 »
I have absolutely NO seeds

The "few" I did once have  ;D are now formally and irrevocably transferred to my Deputy Head Gardener (little Jack)  ;)

He is unable to read or write so no point in trying to email him and ask searching questions  :)

If there ever was a chance I might go to Heaven ? that possibility has now moved to zero (or less)

Mikey

PS from Jack .... sometimes my Grandad tells 'Porkies'  ;D
right now he is discussing a purchasing contract with Jeannine who lives over the river
North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

jeanaustin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2007, 15:01:46 »
My name is Jean and I am a seedaholic.

Like true 'aholics' I hide the evidence - my three boxes of seed are hidden in separate places, one box in the wardrobe, another on the shelf in the kitchen and the third in my lottie shed.  I don't buy very many packets of seed but I can't resist saving seed heads and pods from the plants in my garden and on my lottie.  Also whenever I have fruit with pips/stones, I save these too - in the last few days I have added little pots on the kitchen windowsill containing drying seeds of papaya, pomegranite, medlar  and custard apple.  My friend admits to being a seedaholic too and we exchange own saved seed too.

In addition, I am also a 'cuttings-aholic' - 'cause I can't resist taking cuttings of plants.  The worst time for this addiction is May and June and then from mid-August to the end of September;  it was so bad this last September I had to resort to putting the pots of Penstemon and Perenniel Wallflower cuttings into plastic carrier bags and pegging them (hanging) from the top shelf in my greenhouse because there was no space left on the bench.  I also take cuttings of things like fruit bushes on the lottie whenever I prune these. 

Just Vegging Out

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2007, 15:38:12 »
I have an awful confession to make - I sent begging emails to all the seed companies I could find on the net - I thought I would get a few free packets - I ended up in total with well over £600 worth. 
MY PRECIOUSSSSSSS!!!!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2007, 21:32:08 »
JEANAUSTIN, Do you carry scissors and little plastic bags in you handbag, and are you followed around at Stately homes too.XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2007, 22:16:35 »
I have an awful confession to make - I sent begging emails to all the seed companies I could find on the net - I thought I would get a few free packets - I ended up in total with well over £600 worth. 
MY PRECIOUSSSSSSS!!!!!

Like the style!!

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2010, 17:47:27 »
Thought I'd revive this thread
a) for a laugh
b) for some newbies out there - be warned!!
c) cos I have a confession....

I've been sorting my seeds out and had a quick count up of the squash seed packets - and the total, (after only a couple of years) is over 40......................  :o  :o  :o

how does it happen? And where the heck will I plant them all? And how many squash can we, my family and firends possibly eat?

YIKES

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2010, 17:54:41 »
I am definitely a seedoholic.  I certainly have more seeds that I can possibly grow on my allotment and in my garden.  I buy them and now I have taken to saving them.  There are beans all over the house.  Everytime I get something out of my pocket a bean falls out.

I thought I was the only one.....

When I comes to sowing them I can never find the ones I want.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2010, 18:03:06 »
1066: Bet that doesn't include all those lovely packets coming your way any day now from the chriscross swap  :D
Its tomatoes that really do it for me.
At least squash and tomatoes have long viability. Don't think the 7 varieties of carrots in my seed box are such a good idea.  ;D
I too am a seedaholic.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2010, 22:50:21 »
I used to worry I was a seedaholic. But after listening to  Jeannine who
obviously has a major problem, I no longer call myself a seedaholic. I still function normally  ;D ;D ;D ;D
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2010, 23:14:16 »
Ha ha..so this one has been revised.

Well I am no more a seed addict  now than I was in the beginning.

Do I  consider my 2 suitcases full of seeds an addiction,certainly not, I am preserving a way of life for when a catastrophe hits the earth and the whole world is seedless and relying on me and one or two other with like minded visions. I can then don my official seed superhero outfit which I have carefully put together and  save the planet . No I am not sending a picture of my outfit and needless to say it does include a set of rather fetching rubber boots and a straw hat with a selection of beans,tomatoes and squash on it.

My seeds are very valuable international treasures some of which have so far lived in 5 countries and a special few have crossed the Atlantic 4 times.

Currently they are all in the annual  process of renewing their places in my files and getting ready to welcome their new friends who are,as we speak, travelling from various birth places around the world.

I shall hitherto make a note of the infidels who scoff at those of us who wish to protect society from a beanless ,squashless, etc existence and make sure that my babies are not adopted by same in the event of world disaster!!

For the newbies out there...do not be put off when you are teased  for keeping your precious seeds safe, remember you are not addicted, you are simply getting ready to save the planet when the time comes, so use your shoe boxes, file boxes, etc, hide them from non believers if you must but carry on regardless.

To those of you who are ready with the necessary seeds and  outfit to join me when we are needed..keep up the good work, you are all doing a grand job!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2010, 23:42:05 »
I'm still working on the "outfit" but have the seeds...  :-X

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2010, 00:28:15 »
And I thought I was a tad eccentric.   ;D ;D 

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2010, 08:36:45 »
I BELIEVE !!

But is the outfit compulsory???

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2010, 09:17:59 »
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2010, 09:31:12 »
I belong to a secret society that believes one day we will be taken up into the stars by aliens and i need all these seeds to grow on the new planet we will be sent to, so the human race can start again, any donations to help an alien society is most appreciated.

my husband has sent me to an new hotel while i wait ofr the aliens to come, its nice here, quite minimalistic, i do like the soft padded walls tho.

K

my name is lottiedolly and i am a seedaholic  :o

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2010, 11:36:43 »
I have been checking out my stock of seeds.  Oh dear!! things are worse than I thought.  Beam me up Scottie.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2010, 18:01:10 »
Thought I'd revive this thread
a) for a laugh
b) for some newbies out there - be warned!!
c) cos I have a confession....

I've been sorting my seeds out and had a quick count up of the squash seed packets - and the total, (after only a couple of years) is over 40......................  :o  :o  :o

how does it happen? And where the heck will I plant them all? And how many squash can we, my family and firends possibly eat?

YIKES

And you've got another 50 or so seeds coming in next week of varieties you dind't send into the swap....

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2010, 00:39:56 »
Jeannine-your last post made me cry with silent shaky laughter! I might compile your posts into a book. After a real rotten day you've all cheered me up no end! Thanks.
Oh, My name is Emma and I'm a seedaholic. They tried to make me go to rehab and I said no, no, no.... ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2010, 13:07:54 »
 these just arrived from America, all new varieties to me!!
[attachment=1]
You couldn't make it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal