Author Topic: snowdrops  (Read 4467 times)

VP

• Quarter Acre
  • Get me out of here!
    • Vegplotting
Re: snowdrops
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 21:03:54 »
Apparently snowdrops like to be in a dry-ish spot during the summer, so I suspect last summer hasn't helped your display this year. This might be why the ones under the trees are looking in better shape as the trees hopefully soaked up some of that moisture.

I'm worried that the same may have happened to mine. I've kept a count of the maximum number of snowdrops in flower/bud at 1 time, so should know for sure whether they've thinned out in 3-4 weeks time.

I'll be posting the results up on my blog, starting with this week's count...
Best wishes,

VP
---------------------------------------------
http://vegplotting.blogspot.com

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2008, 22:22:10 »
My plot was saturated for weeks on end, but the snowdrops look the same as ever. Did you let the bulbs dry out at all after they were lifted? Unlike daffodils or onions, they can't stand the treatment.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 18:17:04 »
I bought 50 snowdrops last Autumn and encouraged Hubby to do his very first planting, I gave him instructions then left him to it, suffice to say, not a dicky bird so far, but I have faith  ::)  ;D

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 09:32:29 »
I planted quite a few snowdrops last year (both in the green and as bulbs).

I have now got 3 not a brilliant return (maybe I could get more later ?) but I am still happy about it.

BTW what is best in the green or not ?

VP

• Quarter Acre
  • Get me out of here!
    • Vegplotting
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 16:54:27 »
I've had best success with In the Green - about 80% came up from those. Bulbs were just 10%. Well worth the xtra for ITG unless you're very patient for the bulbs to get multiplying...
Best wishes,

VP
---------------------------------------------
http://vegplotting.blogspot.com

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 17:36:15 »
And here are ours today
The Damson Wood today.

Gardening is the great leveller.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 17:47:01 »
What a wonderfull thing to look at thousands of Snowdrops, when we moved last May i had to leave all mine behind so i envy you all with your beautifull Snowdrops.
Thanks Eric for the lovely photos. Rosebud.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 18:44:07 »
Agree with Mary Eric. What a lovely sight. I have tried planting bulbs on 3 occasions
(must ask daughter-in-law not to buy me any more) Haven't had 1 grow/ Only ones that have been successful are the ITG ones that Eric kindly sent me 2 seasons ago. Not showing yet but they were late last year so I am not worrying. Hope they have multiplied :)

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 21:02:39 »
Lorna, I will replace them for you if they have not grwon. We do have a few and can spare one or two! ;D
Gardening is the great leveller.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2008, 21:29:53 »
Eric. You are very kind. You may remember last year I was in a panic as the snowdrops hadn't appeared when you had yours in flower. You told me to wait a bit longer and sure enough they came through and were beautiful. So I am sure I will soon see them peeping through again, but would like to say thank you for your kind offer.

Hex

• Half Acre
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2008, 19:47:44 »
lorna, the ones I have from palustris came up late last year as well, so fingers crossed for you for this year.  I just have the odd bit of greenery peeking through.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2008, 20:51:39 »
Eric. Thought I would let you know my snowdrops are through and in flower. I am so pleased.
Lorna.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2008, 16:33:37 »
I thought I had a lot missing but another lot, mainly the ones I planted last year are coming into flower now. Though I do think the squirrel has been back, it dug up a lot my bulbs.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal