Author Topic: Blackberry bushes - how far apart  (Read 1325 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Blackberry bushes - how far apart
« on: December 26, 2007, 20:00:08 »
I have an area 10x3ft that is unsuitable for sowing veg etc and is unused. It is small particles of builders rubble from the previous tenant. My intention is to dig a row of holes below this with a spit to get to the soil (12-15 inches deep, ) and fill the hole with manure, compost, soil. I then intend to plant blackberry canes. I would only be able to harvest from 3 sides due to the boundary fence so would need to leave a 'small' gap between plants.

How far apart should I plant the canes.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Blackberry bushes - how far apart
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 21:47:40 »
For blackberry, I'd say you need at least 8ft (2.5m) between plants, so you could get one into the space you have.
I find the easiest way to train them is on wires between sturdy posts. If you plant the blackberry centrally, then once the plant is established, you can train fruiting canes (i.e. those that have grown the previous year) to one side, and new growth that comes up during the year to the other side. (these stems will fruit the following year)
Once the older stems have fruited, then in late autumn they are cut down to the ground, leaving the fresh stems to fruit the next year.
Apologies to those that have seen this image before, but it does show a similar view for loganberries, which fruit earlier and are cut down earlier, but otherwise the principle is the same.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal