Author Topic: Pic Re-sizer  (Read 4217 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Pic Re-sizer
« on: December 21, 2007, 14:43:40 »
http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

...quite a popular one for resizing and other things.

An easier one click one is

http://www.accxess.com/content/view/50/30/

...a small facility that adds nothing to your hard drive and is accessed by right clicking on any photo you want to resize. When you right click a menu comes up, look for 'Resize Pic' near the top and left click for options. It doesn't remove the original, instead it creates a second pic at the same location. Very handy.

Ken.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Pic Re-sizer
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 17:52:49 »
Hi Ken - I've just tried to download and install the access.com one (to resize pics. with just a right click) but was told that 'No solutions found for Microsoft Powertoys for XP'

find that strange as I had it before on my old laptop that had windows XP Home Edition......you told me about this picture resizer before - assume it was the same one but.....

I now have a new laptop and it has Vista - will that make a difference (sorry but I'm terribly ignorant on these puter matters :-[

would appreciate your advice as I miss the facility to make some pictures smaller

Maggie

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 17:59:02 »
The windows powertoys one can be found here
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

it works fine with vista

it isnt a program in as such that you run it - you just right click an image and choose resize pictures ...
Glow

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 21:11:06 »
I'm sorry but I just don't understand quite what you mean (also wondering if I should be persuing this query in this topic)

tried again to click onto that link of your's glow and this time clicked 'save' and closed it but facility not there when I right click on picture.....what am I doing wrong please?

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 14:38:41 »
Hi HotPot, Click 'Run' instead of save and then 'run' again when it asks you. The set-up will start. Just accept.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 15:58:39 »
I'm really embarrassed to come back yet again and say that I can't get any further than first of all left clicking onto the link you've given me Kenkew but as soon as I click 'run' as told to do - it starts to 'do something' (as if it's going to work) then....I get a window come up that's called 'User Account Control' and it tells me that 'A Program Needs Your Permission to Continue'  (don't get the chance to click 'run' again!

sorry I've tried so many times, always with the same result  >:(   

:-[               :'(                >:(               :(                  ???                ::)                :-[

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 16:07:35 »

I'm literally just poppin in here again because.....as I closed down & out of the group....I had a window come up on my desktop that said.......

'The powertoys require Windows XP or a Service Pack. They will not function on a version of Windows earlier or later than Window3s XP'

this means nothing to me :-[   I've only had this new laptop (with Vista) since a few days before Christmas) and altho almost everything that was on my Windows XP Home Edition has been 'copied over' by a computer engineer (that I pay a lot of money to) maybe something still needs to be copied over or done to make acceptance of this 'pic resizer' possible?  (had no problems with it on the old laptop

sorry - am totally useless at these things - I appreciate you peeps trying to help me :)
just wish I could make it work!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 15:34:34 »
Possibly something in your set-up that requires you to click an acceptance box on downloads. Have you right clicked a pic and checked to see if the pic resize option is there?

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 16:02:46 »
 yeah!    tried doing that Ken, everytime I've had another go at getting it right :(

I'll have to get in touch with the computer chappie (who moved everything over for me to this new laptop) and ask him I guess - probably just something soooo simple but tis soooo annoying >:(

have got a 90 day free helpline No. (with John Lewis, who I bought the laptop from) would it be worth giving them a ring d'ya think?......not sure if that's the sort of help they mean when they say 'technical support' but suppose it might be.

thanks for your time anyway (& anyone else who tried to help) :)

I also want to know how to access some 'old emails' from a previous lot I had in other computer, with an addy I'm not currently using (cos or probs) &  not copied over yet by computer chappie.....feel there could be some in there I need to read or respond to ???

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 16:33:37 »
I'm moving the topic to 'Computer & Internet'. Maybe someone who visits there has come across this before. It doesn't seem like a hugh problem. Have you tried downloading anything else onto your new 'puter?

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 21:57:15 »
Have you tried Nero? its not the cheapest thing in the world but does so much more than re-sizing pictures, you can down load a free trial here....

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/Data-CD-DVD-Burning/Nero-8.shtml

Once downloaded you simply click on a picture you want to re-size click re-sizing then change the numbers.

WASSISNAME

• Quarter Acre
  • I water garden. The wife does the earth bit
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 22:34:25 »
Look at this site for resizing photos. It's a free download
http://www.onthegosoft.com/shrink_pic.htm.
Or you can download another free programme Irfanview which can, amongst many other facilities, resize photo's
The Wife does the gardening I just admire it

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 11:40:41 »
I don't think the problem is with any of the programmes, Hot Potato is having a download dilemma.
 Has anyone come across what she describes? Is it a computer set-up problem, a user access/allowed problem or something else?
Ken.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 12:24:25 »
XP powertoys don't work reliably with Vista.

This free program works well.
http://www.vso-software.fr/products/image_resizer/

Or there are another 4 free image resizing programs here.
http://image-resizer.vista-files.org/

Step by step guide to User Account Control HERE

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 20:51:16 »
I showed my friend this problem and what Baccy Man said is spot on.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 22:57:21 »
wow!  what a lot of help has been offered! so it seems that it's simply a case of incompatability between Vista and XP Powertoys preventing that one from working - now my dilema is which of the several links/programmes suggested I should go for :-\.......I'm a total twit & always nervous of trying these things but assume I just click onto one of the links - would prefer a free one and only (probably) want to be able to make some pics smaller so will have a go tomorrow (if poss) at having success with one of them I hope

thanks to you all :) I'll shout if I run into any difficulties ::)

p.s. thank you Ken for moving this over to a more appropriate place ;)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 20:18:49 »
People I know with Vista have downloaded this one with no problems. (It's also one I use occasionally)

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 10:30:50 »
Sorry to bump an old post, but just in case you were still unsure which file to download Hot Pot,  there are a number of online image converters you can use.

This is a good one:

http://www.online-image-editor.com/

Just follow the upload link,  browse for your photo,  click UPLOAD, and resize to your hearts content!
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 22:20:17 »
well that sounds so simple JJ and feel I should give it a try but right now (this minute) my new laptop is doing a Norton Back-up thingy (for first time) and it's takings hours (think it should have been done overnight really) it's already been going for almost 10 hours!!  computer chappie came to see me today (re some other probs) told me I should do the back-up and just let it run till finished and not turn machine off!

I mentioned the pic-rizer thing to him and he said I could do it in 'Picassa' which I have on here and he did go thru process of showing me but......that was this morning and because of Norton running with back-up haven't wanted to do anything 'extra' on here at present till it's finished and I'm worried I wont remember what he told me (didn't write it all down)  ???

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 12:35:37 »
have felt very  :-[ at not coming back to say 'hey guys, I've done it' cos I haven't :'(

whatever I've tried, there's been a hiccup involved so still not got proper pic-sizer to use but............went back into Picassa which I have (so I've pictures stored in there and in 'my pictures') and realised that I could make photo or whatever smaller by emailing it to myself but of course there's a downside to that also ???

it reduces the size automatically (no choice given) and I find the much smaller pic doesn't of course do the photo justice (sort of distorts it a bit)

I've dithered on whether or not to admit my failings in here for all to see but just hope that eventually, I might grasp how to do these things - I enjoy using my laptop for things within my capabilities but struggle so with anything slightly technical - am I the only one? ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal