Author Topic: printer issue  (Read 1660 times)

elvis2003

• Hectare
printer issue
« on: December 11, 2007, 17:15:49 »
hi all,i have a brother all in one scanner/fax/photocopier etc etc,problem is,i recently changed all 4 ink catridges,only for the machine to keep telling me that one of them needs repleacing...even though they are all brand new.i have used it a couple of times since relacing them all.have tried switching it off,and on again,fiddling with the cartridge etc...to no avail.can anyone please help?thanks in advance,rach x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: printer issue
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 17:59:19 »
Most brother printers clean the printheads 3-4 times a day using ink up each time as the cleaning method is different to the normal wiping method other printers use.
When one of the ink tanks is only half empty it will often be reported as empty.
Although you can cover the sensor with tape to trick the printer into thinking the cartridge is full you will cause severe damage to the printhead if it runs dry.

I would replace it with another more reliable make of printer if I were you.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 18:31:43 »
thanks so much for taking the time to reply.the stupid machine is telling me it is empty after only using it twice since replacing the ink,so its nowhere near half empty?? and where is the sensor so i can try covering it up...the machine is useless as it is...i thought brother was an okay brand anyway?? i feel a bit ripped off to say the least...it was about a hundred quid,i think,and ive barely used it,surely it cant be fit only for the scrapheap already?? again,thanks.rach x

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 09:03:52 »
The sensor is on the front of the cartridge you cover it witk black electrical tape which reflects the light so the printer thinks the cartridge is full.
The problem is that when the ink finally does run out the printer will still think it is full & if run empty it will damage the printhead so you will have to judge for yourself when to replace it if you run it while the inktanks are empty & damage the printhead you will get an error 41 message which means the printer is scrap.
Brother used to be a reasonable brand but over the last few years they have changed the way their printers work leaving them with lots of unhappy customers.
If you replace the printer I suggest you look at either Canon or Epson & look for some reviews of the model you are considering before buying. Alternately look at laser printers you can often get them secondhand on ebay fairly cheaply.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 18:04:35 »
jeez,i am such a chump,heres me thinking it was the pink colour that was the problem,just pulled the blue one out,only to have blue ink run all over my hand (nice as its my bday party this weekend so i hope it comes off by then) so im assuming its a faulty cartridge that has been the problem all along,thanks so much for all your help love rach xx

WASSISNAME

• Quarter Acre
  • I water garden. The wife does the earth bit
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 21:22:36 »
I was having the same problem with my Brother all in one and went to their website which was very helpful in this matter and theygave instructions as to how to do it, but Murphys Law, I have lost their instructions and will be due for a change of ink in the near future
The Wife does the gardening I just admire it

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal