Author Topic: Indoor Cyclamen  (Read 1457 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Indoor Cyclamen
« on: December 18, 2007, 11:08:50 »
I have had one of these types (the non hardy, large flowered ones) for a couple of years now. Last year it came back from summer dormancy fine and flowered nicely in the autumn/winter. This year it grew back fine after its summer break, however watering has been a bit irratic and a lot of the leaves have died off. I recently cut these off leaving only about 3 leaves on the plant!

I am wondering what I should do with it now to encourage it to regrow, and where the best place to site it would be. Its looking a bit pathetic at the moment ant is a bit of a waste of space. i dont though want to give up on it if there is any chance of recovering it.

I have to admit to being a bit 'brown fingered' where houseplants are concerned. They are nice but since I concentrate most of my gardening efforts on garden plants, they tend to ge a bit neglected at times :-[ :-[ :-[

Can anyone advise me? Thanks

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Indoor Cyclamen
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 16:46:28 »
From what I can remember about them, they dont like warm rooms, you must water from the bottom. They dont like to be wet and let them dry out between waterings. Maybe a bit of feed would be appreciated too.

If you dont get any response....maybe the best bet would be to google 'care of indoor cyclamens?'

Cant be any more help sorry GA
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 21:52:02 »
....without googling and just as good as you, Richard, in the knowledge & care of houseplants!, I go along with star..

For me, they've been as tough as old boots...like light but not heat, think you've had the watering right if you've kept it for 2 years (present spell of neglect excepted), so presume you've been watering from the bottom?...so praps a feed or scrape off a bit of the top soil & replace? And then, as star said, just water when the plant's dried out & never let it sit in water.

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 02:21:42 »
In addition to what has been said already.

Even if you do not have any success over this winter do not give up. I leave mine in the pot but plant pot in soil in garden after end of May and then bring in again in September - water and feed. I have always kept it fairly moist. I had one for I kept for 15 years like this. The only reason it did not survive was I left out after September as forgot all about it over winter.I tend to spend so much time at allotment forget about the garden.Mine had a year when it did not flower or produce many leaves so there is still hope.

Good luck

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 17:29:59 »
As well as the plants I also have to contend with an impatient fellow gardener in the house who seems bent on chucking things out as soon as they dont do what they want, without giving the poor plant a chance. It was/is the same with the amarillis!

VP

• Quarter Acre
  • Get me out of here!
    • Vegplotting
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 18:22:42 »
I've got mine on a North facing windowsill - that seems to give it enough light, but then it doesn't get too warm. I've managed to bring mine back for 10 years now on the trot in the same spot.

A bit of feed and watering from the bottom as said already should do the trick.
Best wishes,

VP
---------------------------------------------
http://vegplotting.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal