Author Topic: Compost problem  (Read 944 times)

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
Compost problem
« on: December 18, 2007, 12:25:28 »
My compost bin smells horrible, almost a sort of amonia smell. The worms that I put in there are always on the lid, loads of them tangled up. I assume they're trying to escape what's in the bin. I have been filling the bin for over two years and have not yet had any compost. I try to put in a mixture of both vegetable scraps, a bit of green waste and newspaper/shredded cardboard. I've tried adding some soil to help activate it. I water it, I don't turn it as much because of where it is, but I've done it thoroughly at least once, possibly twice and I do try to turn over what's in there now and again, but not the whole lot. Could this be where I'm going wrong? Why isn't it turning to compost, and how can I please the worms?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Compost problem
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 12:30:21 »
Doesn't sound too good...
my biochemistry is naff.. you sound like you are doing it right, although I never water mine...
 ::)

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 12:40:00 »
Hi - Always like to add my four pennyworth!!

I have worms on the lid regularly!  Quite ghastly as they drop off onto feet (well nearly!!)  I wouldn't worry too much.  I wouldn't water it just keep adding a mix of stuff - nothing too watery though!  I can't think why it smells but I would just keep going - without any further water!

I don't think the worms are trying to escape - not quite sure what they are doing though!  Maybe it is their mountaineering challenge activity when they get bored with working their way through rotting vegetables!!

Good luck!

Old Bird

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 12:45:31 »
I think that the ammonia? smell you are getting is probably the result of fruit fly maggots doing their business. Nothing to worry about.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 13:11:01 »
If the compost bin is one of the Daleks they are too tall to water.

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 13:29:55 »
hi C-C, a good way to sort out your compost problem is to add straw to your mixture, remove every thing from the bin, (resite the bin on dry soil or concret if you can) place a layer of straw at the base, them remix and fill with a layer of thick straw every foot of compost, but dont add water any more.

hope this helps, it sound like other says the mixture is to wet,

windy ;)
my allotment
heaven

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 15:30:13 »
Shredded paper might help..

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 15:56:56 »
Your C/N ratio is wrong & has resulted in anaerobisis.
I would wonder about the moisture content too it should be 60%.

Your best bet would be to empty everything out, mix it up with a fork, then place it back in the bin in layers 4-6" thick with a layer of screwed up card or paper between each layer of compost which will provide the required carbon & create plenty of air pockets.

The usual recommended range for C/N ratios at the start of the composting process is about 30/1, but this ideal may vary depending on the bioavailability of the carbon and nitrogen. As carbon gets converted to CO2 (and assuming minimal nitrogen losses) the C/N ratio decreases during the composting process, with the ratio of finished compost typically close to 10/1.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 17:34:11 »
Worms on the lid implies that the mix is damp and well rotten. Don't worry too much; there's nothing that can hold liquid in a dalek, and if you leave it it'll sort itself out. Once it's rooted, you can spread it and leave it to the worms; nitrogenous compost isn't so mice to handle but it's really good for anything that likes nitrogen. Another time add plenty of less sappy stuff; older weeds, roots, the like.

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 17:56:31 »
Thanks everyone. I didn't add that much water, just now and again when I remembered, and not a huge amount.
It's definitely not rotted down, things still look as they did when I put them in. I think I'll do what's been suggested and empty out the contents and layer it. Thanks.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 18:02:19 »
I never add water just wee but mine was very damp so I kept mixing in shredded paper job done, no smell though but worms are on th lid, so I just drop them in another bin.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal