Author Topic: Waiting Lists and Plot Inspections  (Read 7255 times)

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
Re: Waiting Lists and Plot Inspections
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2007, 14:47:40 »
That sounds a lot like what happens with ours. However, on another site quite near ours, people get cross letters if their plots get just a little overgrown, which would pretty much exclude me from ever being able to take on a plot there. It's a tough balance to strike, particularly if you have a long waiting list, I know; it's just that I'd hate to see allotment sites being exclusively for people with lots of time on their hands, when they're often needed most by people who haven't much for themselves at all.

It is a difficult line to tread I agree, and if you end up with a committee that expects the allotment site to look as manicured as St. James Park then I think most of us would be in trouble.

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2007, 15:07:35 »
I would hope that any "inspection system" was fair and made provision for the thoughts that have been aired by various people, ie they take account of:

health issues ... very overgrown plots that require time to knock into shape ... acknowledge that weeds are not end of the world (within reason) ... etc.

Hopefully any "rules" are simply guidelines .. at the end of the day each case is different and is ultimately a judgement call.

Tohellwithweeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2007, 17:21:45 »
our allotment site is council run we dont have a commitee and there are no inspections dont know what happens when there is an upset ect ,ect but i will keep you posted
Link To My Pictures
http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/ToHellWithWeeds/?mediafilter=images

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2007, 19:54:30 »
Our council has started doing more walkrounds of our allotments. There has been some repossessions mostly from newbies who nothing in the probationary period. To that end, other plots are now looking tidier.... Pure coincidence
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2008, 10:13:55 »
I have called a halt to my little questionnaire on the subject of waiting lists and plot inspections. Many thanks to those who participated. I received 41 responses, mostly before Christmas.

To briefly summarise the results:

* 38 have a waiting list. The sizes vary significantly. Insufficient data available to be confident of quoting any overall figures

* only 3 out of the 41 have no form of plot inspection

* of the 38 that do have plot inspections 14 have a single annual inspection, 9 have 2, 3 have 4, and 12 have them regularly (1-2 months)

* information on the time allowed to rectify a problem plot was patchy and is therefore not quoted

As my questions were somewhat terse quite a number of people made supplementary comments, including:

* the term inspection was generally disliked on the grounds that it sounds too officious. Appraisal and review were offered as alternatives

* sensible exemptions from plot inspections are made on health grounds

*  a person who has recently taken on an overgrown patch will usually be given a reasonable amount of time to knock it into shape 

* several people made it clear that inspections were low key and that any problem was pursued quietly with the individual concerned initially to see if there were mitigating circumstances before any “official action” was taken, e.g. sending a warning letter

* a traffic light system is adopted by one site where amber indicates that the plot is a bit “iffy” and needs some attention

* Before eviction one organisation offers the plot holder the option of reducing the size of the plot, e.g. moving from 10 to 5 poles, on the grounds that the person may be able to cope better with a smaller patch.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2008, 18:04:42 »
Why is is disrestpectful to have more than one plot if there is waiting list?

I have 2, when I took my second one there were at least 20 empty a few years ago and it was an overgrown rubbish dump full of old bricks , glass, brambles and general dumped junk.

We have  cleared and worked the land, rebuilt the old greenhouse on it, built a row of 6 compost bins  which are full with suoer stuff now and put in soft fruit,this is quite an investment in time and also in a substantial amount of money,about now it would start to pay for itself, why would I give it up  because there is a  waiting list now.

I don't understand, nobody wanted them when we took this second one on.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

alienwithaview

• Quarter Acre
  • Lou the cat and young thrush, now happily grown up
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2008, 18:59:33 »
I agree with Jeannine that there's nothing wrong with it if there is less demand than plots available.
There is not enough interest in allotments where we are, and as a consequence there are numerous plots unused and neglected, which is why we have taken on a second plot, rather than see them go "to waste".
There is the added problem that in many areas councils have a tendency to ignore their responsibility to provide (or keep available) allotments for local residents, and are keen to have the developers in.
If too many plots are being left wild and unused for a while, it takes only a couple of parish councillors to see the potential for a housing estate (and lots of money, read: backhanders!) and before you know it there isn't a patch of green left, never mind allotments...
We are trying hard to get more locals committed to taking up a plot, share one between them or whatever, but around here we have lots of either old and frail people or those who have too much money to be bothered about growing their own food...
There used to be a local initiative, helping people overcome drug abuse with allotment gardening, but they have lost their funding and sadly had to give up the plots.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2008, 19:06:46 »
Jeannine I agree with you and that is why we have agreed that people with more than one plot should keep them, despite the waiting list. New plot holders however can only take on one or a half plot.

Anyone whose plot is a mess is in danger of losing it, however they are encouraged to contact a member of the committee if they are in difficulty, either to arrange temporary support or to do a plot share - a chance for a newbie to get a half plot.

We do regular walkabouts to look for problems (eg leaking taps) get to know folk and encourage them to share skills and expertise. It also lets us monitor the state of the plots and take quick action to stop them getting overgrown and weed seeds donated to us all.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2008, 20:53:24 »
We have several couples who have 2 or more plots between them. They are all looked after well. When we joined (September 2000) we were shown half a dozen vacant plots; we were given another one 3 months later because no-one wanted to take it on.

Now we have a waiting list. If necessary, I'll give up one of my plots, but not until I see every other plot cultivated properly. All our plots are "taken", ie someone writes a cheque annually, but we want to see the hours put in as well. So we let them to folk who've proven their commitment. If someone who has shown their worth wants to expand, they have priority over the waiting list. But if an existing member isn't cultivating their plot, they are encouraged to downsize.

Basically, our priority is not with an an unknown name on the waiting list (many of whom have been brilliant, don't get me wrong) but to keeping going a site which has been in existence for 200 years.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2008, 21:21:22 »
I am desperate for a 2nd plot but can not have one due to a waiting list. I truly accept and agree with this fact. My brother-in-law gets some crop from my hard graft, so does my mother-in-law & her household. Not forgetting the family of 4 living in my house. So, one plot for 3 households :-\......

My mother-in-law is unable to manage an allotment so I have told her to put her name and her address on the list and I will work 2. This is not a selfish move due to the many mouths that eat the harvest, and in some cases sacrificing growing some crops altogether, thus causing me to run out of many a crop and have to purchase from the supermarkets for my own housefull.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

franklynn

• Not So New ...
  • Wet In Doncaster
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2008, 08:52:06 »
i believe that the site I am on had not had an inspection for a very long time. The council only became interested when last december some bright spark (Me) had the audasity to ask if they could have a plot.

Around came the inspectors compleet with digital camera, "cant have that" "cant have livestock, exept pigions" etc.

When we signed there was a list of things we could not have or do, when we pointed out that there are things on there that should not be on there we were tolled that if we put things on that should not be on we would be removed.

we also had to pay for a key to the main gate, a gate that has not been closed for as long as I can remember, in fact I dont think it can be closed due to rubbish!

typical council if you ask me!
Frank

franklynn

• Not So New ...
  • Wet In Doncaster
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2008, 10:02:37 »
Strange occurrence's! after stating that the gates are never closed I was amazed last night when I drove past to see that they were! I then found out that two chickens were killed a few days ago.
Frank

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal