Author Topic: 100 metres of debris netting  (Read 7044 times)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
100 metres of debris netting
« on: December 16, 2007, 09:46:15 »
I did just order one 50m metre roll and specified yellow, but I was sent a green roll.  One phone call to sort that out, two days later the yellow roll arrives.  The green should have been collected on Friday, but it is still sitting in the front garden.  If this isn't collected, I could well have 100 m of this stuff..........

I could net in the whole plot but that seems a bit extreme - any other ideas?????

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: 100 metres of debris netting
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 10:11:49 »
The Pigeons have been at my Brassicas so I think I will be netting the whole plot!  ;D

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 10:50:33 »
you could put it on freecycle it would be snapped up.   :)

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 20:32:25 »
I would keep it. It's very good for covering crops at vulnerable times. I now use mine to lay on the ground over areas where I've sown seeds like broad beans. Once seedlings start to emerge just shove a few flowerpots under to give some headroom until the plants get big enough to look after themselves.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 09:09:16 »
thats a very good idea. ;)

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 09:24:49 »
I wondered out of curiosity why you prefer yellow to green ..
We on our lotties around here all seem to use green ..Won't yellow attract more greenfly,aphids etc..Or is the light level under yellow better?..  Cheers .Jim

Cheers .. Jim

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 11:39:05 »
Colour is a matter for the individual and can be influenced by availability. As I see it the light that the plants get comes in through the colourless holes in the net. Do aphids home in on colours? I thought they were probably guided more by smell, but maybe they operate a 'suck it and see' system.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 12:26:44 »
Hi - If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for a 50m roll?

I keep thinking of getting something like that but haven't a clue on price.

Old Bird

:o

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 18:15:45 »
Keep your eyes peeled for anyone locally having a loft conversion and watch for the scaffold to come down. It's a question of being in the right place at the right time and you get a big bundle of net that may have some holes in it. This will normally get disposed of in the adjacent skip or wheelie bin.

Finders keepers, or you can go to the local builders merchants and pay (puke) £30 or so. Scaffold gangs may well have a spare roll on the lorry for a bung.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 18:21:18 »
There you go SMP sell the other one to Old bird, charge her top dollar, recoup your cash, job done.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 18:21:49 »
Do aphids home in on colours?

Sticky traps are always yellow, aren't they?
Perhaps not aphids, but I'm sure some insects are attracted by colour rather than smell.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 19:59:22 »
Thanks for all the ideas.  The roll is still in the front garden - obviously no other lottie holders live nearby ;D

Why yellow?  Well my Mum gave me an offcut that she had been using on her lottie.  That was just the right size for my PSB house (there is a photo of it on Mrs KP's thread about debris netting)  The resulting plants are MONSTERS and pest free.  So the thinking was that the yellow produced better levels of light.

I hadn't thought about yellow being an insect attractant - of course it is - ever worn a high viz jacket in summer?  but based on the PSB this hasn't been an issue.

Cost - from ebay £28.00 inc postage. - best price I could find.  Eristic, I'm have been known to ask scaff gangs for old planks (the things I do for my lottie) but I have never seen netting on the lorry.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 20:07:36 »
I'm have been known to ask scaff gangs for old planks (the things I do for my lottie) but I have never seen netting on the lorry.

They may only bring out enough for the job in hand or it is in the cab or a box at the back somewhere. Unless they are using the ultra-expensive re-usable type, they always throw it away when the scaffold is dismantled so keep a lookout for the leftovers. There may be rips in it here and there but is still perfect for the lottie..

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 22:53:23 »
There you go SMP sell the other one to Old bird, charge her top dollar, recoup your cash, job done.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Kev you are BAD but I'm still laughing.  You don't run a stall on the Green by any chance ;)

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 12:29:29 »

Cheers Kev!! 

;D ::)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 18:31:26 »
Sorry Old bird only joking,  ;D ;D ;D  go on SmP knock off a few shillings and put them on my bill. Stall on the green.   ??? :-\    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 21:39:05 »
I'll donate a quid via PayPal. If we get enough takers Old Bird will get it for nowt....any takers?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal