Author Topic: How to grow plum tomatoes  (Read 6588 times)

davee52uk

• Acre
How to grow plum tomatoes
« on: December 12, 2007, 17:51:54 »
I have tried a number of times to grow plum tomatoes. I have managed to grow loads of tomatoes of other varieties, even during last Summer but have always failed with plum tomatoes.

I have in past grown all tomatoes outside. I have only tried Roma variety of plum tomatoes. I have had bumber crops of Beefsteak, Gardener's Delight, Alicante and an unknown variety that appeared out of some household compost. With these I keep the seeds each year and get great crops.

Plum tomatoes do grow but when they reach full size either succumb to blossom end rot or blight. Other varieties growing at the same time carry on and grow well.

For next season, I will be able to grow tomatoes in a greenhouse with brand new soil not used for any crops at all previously.

Has anybody got any advice? Would the plum tomatoes be better suited in a greenhouse?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: How to grow plum tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 18:28:23 »
Hi, bear in mind that Alicante and Gardeners Gelight are types of toms that do grow outside well anyway. I grow my plums in the greenhouse but I choose for high yeild. I grow La Roma not Roma, it has 7 times the yeild and better disease resistance, I have grown them outside but I do get earlier results in a greenhouse. Another point to remember is many Roma types have a longer growing season Re the blossom end rot, I tend not to worry about it much, I find it is the first toms of the vine that seem to be affected, later ones seem to be fine.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 18:38:36 »
Yes - & if you preempt BER with Calcium & sensible watering you should have no problems?

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 19:10:01 »
For plums I like San Marzano and Principe Bhorgese-and for pomodorini Aunt Madge is a non hybrid that is as good as santa

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 20:35:48 »
I've still got some seeds available for my blight resistant trial next year. Why not join the gang? The tomato in question is well suited to outside growing and produces a medium sized red plum fruit. See my earlier thread for details.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 16:39:39 »
If you really like plum tomatoes, try San Marzano Redorta from seedsofitaly.com. They're massive.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal