Author Topic: Help needed..Nintendo thingy for the Brain game???  (Read 3108 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Help needed..Nintendo thingy for the Brain game???
« on: December 12, 2007, 19:09:51 »
Hi, I  am looking for something for John for a gift, wondering about this Nintendo thingy that plays the Brain Training game. Does anyone know anything about it please. The little I know is that there is a console, then I buy the games and I understand there are different Brain Training games, then I believe there is an accessory pack.

Are there other similar games that come for it..not fighting type things but perhaps, Suduko, Patience or logic type things.

I have no clue what I am doing here,can anyone please advise me. Bear in kind I have no experience at all with any of these game thingys.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Simon05

• Half Acre
Re: Help needed..Nintendo thingy for the Brain game???
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 19:24:59 »
The brain training is out on the nintendo ds and the nintendo wii, there is only one brain training game on the wii, I think about 3 or 4 on the ds.  the wii is an excellent console, lots of fun, you dont really need the accessory pack though as it only adds a tennis racket, steering wheel, baseball bat and golf club to the wii motes, you may have trouble getting hold of one this close to christmas, most shops have limited stock and sell out as soon as they have them in stock. If john is a serious gamer then get him a playstation 3 or an xbox 360, but if hes looking for a fun console then the wii is the one to get.

Forgot to say, with the wii console you get the wii sports game, which includes bowling, baseball, golf, boxing, and tennis. you get a nunchuk and wii mote with the console, most of the wii sports games can be played with only one wii mote, but for boxing you will need two nunchuks and two wii motes.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 19:27:22 by Simon05 »

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 19:27:43 »
HI Jeannine,

I guess you want a nintendo DS, this is alittle hand held unit which means he can play it anywhere.

If you ever played donkey kong its about that size but a bigge screen.

There are a number of games he might like

Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training: How Old Is Your Brain? http://www.game.co.uk/DS/Puzzle/~r327745/Dr-Kawashimas-Brain-Training-How-Old-Is-Your-Brain/

More Brain Training from Dr. Kawashima http://www.game.co.uk/DS/Puzzle/~r331096/More-Brain-Training-from-Dr-Kawashima/

There are loads of games that keep your brain agile.

Nintendo DS machines are hard to get hold of but not as hard as the nintendo wii  (no deliverys now till mid Feb and none since early nov) which is a console you use the TV for and has simular games.

If this is what you want you need to try your local Game shop they will have some but you need to be quick. Most electrical places have sold out and it took 3 days for me to find one for my nephew. I would recomend that you get the replacement cover as these dont bounce so its a worthwile investment.

Good Luck

Cambourne7

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 20:28:29 »
I thought about one of these too. What's the going rate for a DS?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 20:37:31 »
Thank you for the help, I thought it may be useful as it is small and could be taken around, appointments etc.

John is not a sporty person and is not into games as such but he does like Suduko and any logic  things, As most of you know he has quite severe memory problems and I wondered if this might help . He spends far too much time on his own and wondered if this would help keep him alert.

The Nintendo DS sounds ideal, I will loook into that.

Thanks a million XX Jeanninje
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 20:42:21 »
Good luck Jeannine :)

Shelle

• Not So New ...
  • Cramlington, Northumberland
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 20:47:35 »
Also try your local Zavvi store (used to be called Virgin megastores).  They do a package - console and 1 free game including the brain training one - for £100.  In store only, not online.

Also another game you may be interested in is 42 classic games.

Good luck

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 21:05:19 »
Oh Oh, I have found one online.

DS Lite Black plus TopTrumps?? TMNT and accesory pack, I then bought Scrabble,Brain Training, More Brain Training and  finally Suduko. It came to £195 with delivery.

Hope it goes down well, he is such a pain to buy for ,bless him.

Thank you again for the help,XX Jeannine

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 18:20:37 »
your one lucky woman to fine one and all your games.

Top trumps i think is a card collection game and its apparantly highly addictive :)

I hope he knows how luck a man he is :)

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 09:45:07 »
I bought the nintendo ds and brain training for my mum for (early) christmas, who is a complete technophobe but loves puzzles, crosswords, etc. and she absolutely LOVES it! she got the hang of it in a couple of days and is completely addicted. she'd never done sudoku before but spent the whole evening with her head stuck in the ds trying to finish her first one – so now I have a mother who's a 'gamer' as well as my OH ::) I've resisted so far but it's probably only a matter of time!

Jeannine, I'm sure John will love it :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 10:22:24 »
i have a wii for hubbie had to buy it in france and have spent the last 2 weeks tring to find big brain game. Finaly got one 2nd hand and I am off to get it now :)

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 11:21:05 »
Hi Jeannine, i have had my DS for several years and found it to be brilliant. A great puzzle game i have is called Neves (seven spelt backwards)
http://uk.gamespot.com/ds/puzzle/neves/review.html?sid=6183061&om_act=convert&om_clk=gsupdates&tag=updates;title;1

I play this everynight and some of them you really kick yourself when you complete them   :)
 I also play scrabble on the DS it has different difficulty levels so everyone should be able to play it and it helps to increase your volcabulary  :)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 11:45:39 by legendaryone »
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

Riffster

• Half Acre
  • Chief Wormer
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 11:39:32 »
I recently lost my OH to   the DS,   shes in "Animal Crossing" all the time now. -

I cannot complain too much,  I'm in the DS Games writing industry !

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 11:58:22 »
Maplins sell a soduko electronic thingy, about 30,000 different combinations and levels of difficulty. Think it's about £15.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 13:08:35 »
Maplins sell a soduko electronic thingy, about 30,000 different combinations and levels of difficulty. Think it's about £15.

It is £9.99 & has 3 levels of difficulty: easy, medium and hard with 3,333 different puzzles for each level.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48868&&source=14&doy=14m12

They do a brain trainer for £6.99.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221583&&source=14&doy=14m12

They have a selection of other handheld electronic games quite cheap too.

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 15:56:29 »
Or.....speak to Kenkew nicely as he now seems to have two!!!

I got my sons from Argos

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 16:37:57 »
Were they a good buy? ;D

Brain training is addictive but I like 'more brain training' because the music one is easy for me because i play the piano and it brings my score up quite a bit.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 17:55:05 »
Well I better fess up I guess

John's pressie of the Nintendo ds and games went down like a cold suet pudding.

He opened it, looked embarrassed, didn't say a word, then carefully put it all back in the back, saw my face and whispered...sorry. to which I burst into tears, the next hour or so were a bit tense.

I have looked it over and cannot for the life of me see what there is not to like but he couldn't be less interested if he was forcing himself.

I still appreciate all you help advice which was very helpful and good, I didn't figure my husband to be such a ................. can't say it!!

XX Jeannine

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 18:18:48 »
hiya, Jeannine, could he be a techno-phobe..embarrased to say he doesn't understand how to use it, my dad refused to get a computer as he'd worked on the early ones and didn't know how to use windows, etc..maybe he'll have a sneaky peek at it if you leave it around  ;D

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 18:35:54 »
Oh that's such a shame, looks like you'll have to bring out his competitive spirit and challenge him to a game. Hopefully it'll whet his appetite when he gets the feel of it (by the way you have to let him win the first few goes ;))
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal