Author Topic: pumpkin pickle  (Read 1581 times)

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
pumpkin pickle
« on: December 09, 2007, 16:41:36 »
 Hi all,  :D
                 Here is the pumpkin pickle recipe I was asked for on the Gallery forum.
 2.5 lbs pumpkin, peeled & chopped into 3/4 inch cubes, ( I soften the pumpkin in wedges in the oven for 20 mins before peeling & cubing as it makes the job easier)
 1.5lb of apples (any sort) peeled, cored & roughly chopped. 2.5 oz grated root ginger, 3-4 red chillies chopped finely (leave some seeds in or take them out depending on how hot you like your pickle) 2 tablespoons mustard seeds, 1 litre distilled malt vinegar, 1lb soft brown sugar, 1 tablespoon salt.
Method, Put everything into a large pan except the sugar & salt. Bring to the boil, then simmer for up to 20 mins until the pumpkin has softened but still has a little bite to it. Add the sugar & salt, stir until dissolved then cook away slowly until the mixture has thickened & most of the liquid has evaporated, this may take 45 mins, check every 10 mins & stir to prevent burning. Ladle into sterilized jars & leave for a week or two (if you can) to mature a bit.

Adrian.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: pumpkin pickle
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 16:56:18 »
Sounds good. We're not actually short of chutneys & stuff (!!) but OH is beginning to rebel when I suggest having pumpkin with our meal again, so I might have a go at that.

Where's the pumpkin pie recipe, Jeannine?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal