Author Topic: One for Jeannine.  (Read 1682 times)

Rob the rake

• Half Acre
One for Jeannine.
« on: February 08, 2008, 09:00:19 »
I'm trying to decide which of my squashes to grow this year, but I'd like to save the seed if possible, so it would be nice to know what families they are in. Can you help, please, me dear? Here's the list;

Delicata (bush)
Uchiki Kuri
Crown Prince
Rolet Gem
Butternut
Patty Pan, Pattison's Orange
Golden hubbard
Summer Crookneck
Courgette, Romanesco
Acorn
Sweet Dumpling
Pumpkin, Small sugar

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Re: One for Jeannine.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 12:48:41 »
With all those varieties how will you know they haven't cross-pollinated, or do you hand-pollinate and bag the flowers?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 12:54:41 »
As you say one for Jeannine. But I will attempt the ones I know and Jeannine can give you the proper answer later.   :)

Crown Prince = c.maxima
Courgettes, summer crookneck and pattipans = c.pepo

and I think Butternuts are c.moschata.

I do have a list for the rest but at home.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 13:49:27 »
I saved seed from Spaghetti squash a couple of years ago. It had crossed with a courgette and I ended up with something that was neither one nor the other

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 14:10:55 »
I think that is because they are both c.pepo

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 14:29:42 »
funny thing was - the "courgettis" came out round, and the ones I'd grown the previous year were long and thin

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 19:43:08 »
Hi,

Delicata..pepo
Kuri...maxima
Crown Prince...maxima
Gem...pepo
Hubbard...maxima
Summer Crookneck...pepo
Courgette...pepo
Acorn...pepo
Dumpling...pepo
Small Sugar...pepo

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 21:31:05 »
Thank goodness I got some of them right, after following your advice on the groups last year, and as I am the only one growing winter squash on either of my allotments I am going to try and grow one of each variety so I can save seed. The book you recommended on one of the threads - The Compleat Squash - is a god send. 

Rob the rake

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 21:43:29 »
With all those varieties how will you know they haven't cross-pollinated, or do you hand-pollinate and bag the flowers?

It looks like I'll have to, GA, if I want to save seed and grow more than 2 or 3 types. I suppose you only need to bag one or two flowers and tag them.
I'll not be growing them all mind, just a selection.

Thanks, everyone. :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 10:55:28 »

A few tips, if anyone is trying this for the first time.

If you are going to save seed and bag flowers, squash pollen goes bad very quickly, so bag  the male and female flowers you are going to use in the evening so the bees can't get in the following morning, then go to the plants the very next morning, pollinate, then  re bag the female flowers.  Tie a colored tape to the stem so you won't forget which one you hand pollinated, keeping it loose to allow for growth.Keep an eye on it and remove the bag when it is obvious the flower has been pollinated. I find the best bags are the ones I stitch with row cover as they are light and safe, but you can tape the flowers shut too.

I rarely save my own seeds as I grow too many varieties and it becomes a bother, but I do sometimes if it is something that is hard to get hold.

If you are growing squash from the four different families, 1 from each, you don't need to bag, but bear in mind you need to be away from other gardeners squash but at least 1/4 mile to be sure.

This is just a brief bit of info, if anyone needs any more help, I ma happy to share what I can.

The book I suggested to Suzanne is worth a good read if you are truly interested in squash, expensive but great. Some of it is already getting out of date  with varieties which is inevitable, but it is a fantastic book. Try the library for a free read.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Rob the rake

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 11:38:28 »
Thanks again Jeannine. :) I think I'll have to order the book, judging on the feedback .
There's loads of squash info just a couple of clicks away, but I'd much rather have a book in my hand.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 18:34:50 »
Just to let you know I bought The Compleat Squash for £12.99 from Amazon, I would assume you can still get it for about that price.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal