Author Topic: importing pictures  (Read 2438 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
importing pictures
« on: November 30, 2007, 22:00:55 »
good grief, it's driving me crazy, c'mon all you experts, we've got a new camera, kodak easy share c7 13..downloaded into picasa and my documents, sorry, 7 megapixels
we've always been able to download from my documents with my old camera but it keeps coming up with file too large..how do we get the piccies on..feel like throwing the new one out and going back to my old one...heeeelp

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
Re: importing pictures
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 22:38:56 »
Do you mean you've managed to get the pics into My Documents and they won't go into Picasa, or that you can't get them out of the camera? Where does the message come from?

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 14:19:20 »
hiya, geoff..we've downloaded from the memory stick into the computer, they're in my documents under my pictures, trying to get them from the comp to this forum..it says the file is too big, comes from this forum
wish I was a bit more computer savvy  ;D
any help gratefully received, mal

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 14:43:43 »
I've had this problem too. Don't ask me why, but the downloaded picture is huge. (Not always: there must be some setting on the camera.)

Take it into your photo package (I use Photoshop.) and adjust the image size to something sensible. (Normally the default is to change the x and y dimensions in proportion to each other.)

Hope this helps. I'm a technical numbskull as well.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 15:00:21 »
obviously not as bad as us, trevor.. ??? ;D

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 15:11:04 »
If you use windows XP, try this powertoy,it adds right click functionality to windows, right click a photo and resize it automatically.

http://www.accxess.com/content/view/50/30/

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 15:12:50 »
Hi again.
Sounds as if you need to reduce the file size then. A lot of pics are HUGE when they leave the camera. Microsoft Photo Editor, that comes with Windows will reduce the pic but not necessarily the file size, by enough. What you need to do is resample. This reduces the picture quality but not by enough to notice when you view it onscreen, and unless you already have some software on your computer to do this, I would recommend Irfanview from
http://www.irfanview.net/
It's small, light and free, and it'll do loads of other things too. If you decide to go down this route, I'll be more than happy to help when you've got as far as you can.
The only other easy way is to reset the picture quality on your camera to something like 1280x960 and retake the pics. I don't know the size of your files, but I try to aim for somewhere between 60- and 80k, plenty good enough for A4A.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 15:34:56 »
thanks, everyone..managed to send it to microsoft picture editor and re size to web size..anyway, they've gone on..will have a look at the camera to see if we can reduce the size on there  ;D

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 09:35:59 »
The thing is, you're 'problem' is that the new camera you've got, the 7 mega pixel one, is better (a higher resolution) than your old one. A 7 mega pixel camera produces bigger images than say a 5 mega pixel camera because they are higher quality.

That larger, better quality image is surely kind of what you've paid your money for when you got a new improved camera so telling the camera to take smaller images is a bit of a false econnemy.
When it comes to manipulating digital photos the first thing you learn is that the bigger the original the better. The bigger the image the better quality it will be when you print it out. If you want to do something else with the image, like publish it a web site then yeah you need to resize it to a more manageable size but if you were to print out that smaller image and compare it to a print of the huge original you'd see a difference even if it doesn't look it on screen.

I guess what I'm saying is that unless all you ever want to do with your pictures is put them online then you'll be wasting the nice new camera you've got by forcing it to produce lower resolution images. It's easy enough to resize the ones you want to put online but in my experience it's always nice to keep the full size originals too for printing out etc.
Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 13:36:20 »
You're right in everything you say Cuke, but who knows what manic's primary purpose is for wanting a 7mpx camera? The manufacturers are aware that for screen-only viewing, posting and emailing, a lower resolution is needed, which is why different settings are offered. I have my own preferences but they don't belong here. :)

Geoff.

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 15:10:02 »
yeah I know Geoff :)

Was just explaining the reasons for his huge files so he didn't mistakingly think his new camera was in some way duff... :)
Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

Riffster

• Half Acre
  • Chief Wormer
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 15:29:17 »
To add another utility I can recommend - its called "Easy Thumbnails 2.93 "

It integrates into Window Explorer,   so you can select one or many pictures from windows explorer, right click and there is an option to create thumbnail.

Now.  I have the setting for a thumbnail size set at 800 x 600  ( get it ! ) .   This makes one or many 7M pixel pictures websize with 3 clicks, at around say 80-100k ( which is what we want, at perfect web quality )

It will name the new pic    tn_filename.jpg   leaving the original untouched.

Web address is http://www.fookes.com/

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 20:10:42 »
hiya, thanks for all your advice and replies
ray bought a new camera as his old one's a bit knackered
we've managed to send them to microsoft office picture manager... trouble is, we got a nice, shiny new computer at the same time, with windows vista on and getting used to them both is a bit awkward to say the least
still, I'm getting there  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal