Author Topic: Onion sets not sprouting - please help!  (Read 3145 times)

desnz

• Not So New ...
Onion sets not sprouting - please help!
« on: December 05, 2007, 10:51:52 »
Hi. We planted a few sets of onions over the past 6 weeks or so and one set have sprouted wonderfully and the other haven't at all - any advice? Thanks!

laura G

• Quarter Acre
Re: Onion sets not sprouting - please help!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 10:59:52 »
Hi, i was also worried abou this (as it is my first year) so i pulled a few up and they were growing lots of roots, so am no longer worried. only one of mine have sprouted too.
I planted mine out 6th Nov.
Laura

desnz

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 11:16:48 »
Thanks so much Laura, will pull a couple up on the weekend and keep my fingers crossed they have roots!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 18:07:53 »
hiya, desnz..welcome to the site
I wouldn't worry, they'll be busy putting down roots, they grow quite slowly over the winter, some of ours are up and some not showing, maybe I put some deeper than others  ;D

desnz

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 09:37:29 »
Thanks so much Manicscousers for the advice and welcome. This is a great website, just need to figure out how to get a pic up there. We'll check the sets out this weekend.

Am loving having an allotment, only got it in April this year so did lots of clearing and managed a successful 'three sisters' system with corn, courgettes and french beans amongst lots of other things. We're aiming to grow all our own veges next year and not buy any from the supermarket....we shall see how that goes! Love the flavour though of homegrown/allotment produce, reminds me of being a kid back in NZ.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 11:15:15 »
Mine have also been in about 6 weeks and there was not a lot showing, however I went down early this morning to take a mushroom compost delivery and when I looked today suddenly all my onions were showing shoots, three days ago nothing!

Interestingly only my saved 'Marco' garlic has green shoots at the moment as well, the other three varieties and my Jermour shallots are all still sulking......
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 11:19:38 »
my Jermor shallots are all up, about half the onions are through (mixture of Electric red and Senshyu white) but no sign of the pink garlic I bought from the French market and planted at the same time... might have a little poke about at the weekend – after the debate about how deep to plant garlic I poked them down to finger depth so they shouldn't be too deep...

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 11:22:34 »
My onions have only been in just under two weeks (yes, yes I know, late!) and no sign but it sounds like I shouldn't be getting worried just yet. ;)

My garlic on the other hand, about 95% of them are showing and most are over 3 inches tall now... Am most impressed! lol
Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 15:03:43 »
no sign of the pink garlic I bought

Snap!!

No signs of the variety I bought but the two varieties I have grown & saved for years are 3"-4" high.

I hope this is not another sign of things to come in the 'allium' family  :-\

Question??

Does anybody else think as I do that the white rot might be coming in on 'setts' ?

I know the weather has paid a large part in last summer results but I had white rot (in my onions) the year before that too.

As I recall that was quite a good summer.

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 15:14:07 »
Onions and garlic both very slow in these parts (Sunningdale Berks), particularly garlic.

One plot holder planted his garlic in late September and they are only just pushing their noses through. His onions are slightly more forward. Put in at the same time they were also slow to show but are now about 3 inches high.

My garlic went in 5 weeks ago and no sign yet.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 15:33:13 »
Hi Des and welcome to the madhouse.  :P :P :P    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

desnz

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 10:14:23 »
Thanks Corneykev! Will be on here a lot getting all the help we can to be selfsufficient in vegetables next year!  ;) ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 13:46:59 »
No signs of the variety I bought but the two varieties I have grown & saved for years are 3"-4" high.

Intersting that the saved varieties are showing first, ? they are already better adapted to the local conditions than the others? Or are they just 'fresher' and therefore ready to go?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 17:41:51 »
My garlic sown on 1st November is doing nothing yet. Good to know I don't need to worry yet!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 12:11:44 »
Interesting that the saved varieties are showing first, ? they are already better adapted to the local conditions than the others? Or are they just 'fresher' and therefore ready to go?

Perhaps so Debs, although I can't see them being any fresher.

As I see it; the bought ones would have been lifted and stored around the same time as I did mine.

Perhaps they were stored differently, mines just lie on a shelf in the greenhouse from picking to replanting.

Whereas bought ones might have been in a chiller, then come into centrally heated shops/stores.

Will just have to wait and see.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal