Author Topic: Sticky Toffee Pudding Recipe please  (Read 36919 times)

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
Sticky Toffee Pudding Recipe please
« on: December 05, 2007, 13:29:27 »
Hi Guys

My DH loves this pudding - anyone got a good recipe for this pudding please.  I normally buy the organic one and it is yummy but expensive and I am sure - with a good recipe I can bake my own.

Thanks

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: Sticky Toffee Pudding Recipe please
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 14:53:42 »
We have one from the Nigella Lawson ( :o) "Nigella Bites" book. I'll scan the page and pm it to you if I can.
The Tuscan Beaneater

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 15:02:46 »
Sorry, can't attach a pic to a pm, so here it is:
The Tuscan Beaneater

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 15:39:24 »
Mmmmmmmmmmm, heaven.  Thanks Jitterbug for asking the question!  That sounds so easy I'll have to try it! :D

Jitterbug

• Hectare
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 12:26:38 »
Thanks asbean - I'm off to the kitchen to bake...

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 15:21:05 »
Another good one...

(Gary Rhodes, I think...)

Sticky Toffee Pudding

This is a good old English pudding which is made all over the country.  The best dates to use are Medjool, which come from India – they are plump and meaty, with almost a treacle taste.

Serves 4

6oz dates, stoned and chopped
300ml water
1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
2oz unsalted butter
6oz caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
6oz self-raising flour
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

For the sauce
300ml double cream
2oz demerara sugar
2 teaspoons black treacle

1   Pre-heat the oven to 180oC / 350oF / Gas mark 4 and grease a 11 x 7 inch baking tin.
2   Boil the dates in the water for about 5 minutes until soft, then add the bicarbonate of soda.
3   Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then add the eggs and beat well.
4   Mix in the dates, flour and vanilla essence then pour into the greased baking and tin.
5   Cook in the oven for about 30-40 minutes until just firm to the touch.
6   To make the sauce, put all the ingredients in a pan over a low heat and stir together until blended, then bring to the boil.  Some of this can be poured over the sponge and finished under the grill, or it can be kept completely separate and poured over the sponge when served.
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 16:41:21 »
I have the original Sharrow Bay hotel recipe from Ullswater:-

Sticky Toffee Pudding

2 oz/60g                   butter, softened
6 oz/180g   sugar
8 oz/240g   plain flour
1 tsp/5ml                   baking powder
1      egg, beaten
6 oz/180g   stoned dates, chopped
10 fl oz/275ml   boiling water
1 tsp/5ml                   bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp/5ml                   vanilla essence

Sauce:
3 oz/90g                   butter
5 oz/150g   brown sugar
5 fl oz/150g   double cream

Heat the oven to 180C.  Beat the butter and sugar till fluffy and creamy.  Sift the flour with the baking powder.  Beat in the egg with a little flour then fold in the rest of the flour. 

Soak the dates in the water with the bicarbonate of soda and vanilla essence.  Fold into the cake batter and mix well.  The mixture will appear to be very sloppy at this stage but fear not.  Pour into a greased, lined tin - 11" x 7", and bake for 40 minutes.

Turn out the cake and cut into individual portions.*  Place in heat-proof serving bowls, pour on some sauce and grill till bubbling.  Serve with cream or ice-cream.

*Any surplus portions can be frozen.   To serve, thaw and continue from here but place them lower under the grill and cook a little longer to heat through.

John Tovey at Miller Howe in Windermere then published this adaptation:-

Sticky Toffee Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce

Serves 8 - 16 people depending on the piggy factor.

4 oz      butter, softened
6 oz      sugar
8 oz      self-raising flour
4      eggs, beaten
8 oz      stoned dates, chopped
10 fl oz                   boiling water
1 tsp      bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp      Camp coffee essence

Topping:
2 tbs       double cream
3 oz      soft brown sugar
2 oz      butter

Buttterscotch Sauce:
8 oz       golden syrup
2 oz      butter
2 oz      brown sugar
2      oranges, finely grated rind only
1 tsp      vanilla essence

Prepare a 9" or 10" square cake tin by greasing and lining it with a double layer of greaseproof paper brushed with melted butter.  Heat the oven to 180C/350F.

Beat the butter and sugar together till pale and creamy.  Add the beaten eggs a little at a time, beating well with each addition.  Sift the flour onto the mixture and fold in gently.  Combine the dates, bicarbonate of soda, Camp coffee essence and water in a bowl.  Mix well.  Pour onto the cake mixture and mix well to make a smooth, runny batter.   Pour this into the cake tin, place on a baking tray and bake for about one hour till almost done.

Combine the topping ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil.  Pour over the pudding and brown under a hot grill.  Combine the butterscotch ingredients in another saucepan and heat gen-tly.

Serve slices of the pudding with whipped cream and hot butterscotch sauce.

Delia Smith modified that one by cooking it in individual dariole moulds and then sprinkling with the sauce and chopped pecans.  That was in either her Xmas or Winter cookery book.    I always make double the sauce as this quantity is not enough.   This is the easiest recipe for cooking ahead for entertaining.   I also do it sometimes so that I can just pull a couple out of the freezer on impulse when we feel like a treat.  It's very rich so you need a light main course.

Little Sticky Toffee Puddings with Pecan Toffee Sauce

3 oz       butter, softened
5 oz       caster sugar
2      eggs, beaten
6 oz      self-raising flour
6 oz      stoned dates, chopped
6 fl oz                   boiling water
½ tsp      vanilla essence
2 tsp      coffee essence
¾ tsp      bicarb of soda

Sauce:-
6 oz      soft brown sugar
4 oz       butter
6 tbs      double (heavy) cream
1 oz      pecan nuts, chopped

Heat the oven to 180C.  Lightly butter 8 x 3" ramekin dishes.
Soak the dates in the water for about half an hour to soften them.  Add the soda, vanilla and cof-fee essence and mix briefly in a food processor.  In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar till light and fluffy.  Add the eggs, a bit at a time, and beat well after each addition.  Fold in the sifted flour and then the date mixture.   You should have a fairly sloppy mixture.

Divide the mixture equally between the ramekins, place them on a baking tray and bake for 25 minutes.  Cool for 5 minutes the loosen with a knife and turn out. The puddings can be cooled and frozen at this stage.

To serve:-

Place the puddings upside down in a shallow dish.   Heat the grill.   Make the sauce by melting the butter and sugar together in a pan.  Add the cream and stir well.  Add the pecans and, when just boiling, pour the sauce over the puddings.  Place the puddings 5" below the grill and cook for about 8 minutes.   Serve with chilled cream or ice-cream.

Finally, while she was in charge at the Carved Angel in Devon, Joyce Molyneux made a steamed version
using apricots instead of dates.   I always think there should be more sauce and make extra to serve on the side.:-

Sticky Toffee Pudding - steamed version

Serves 8 - 10 people.

6 oz      dried apricots
1 tsp      bicarbonate of soda
10 fl oz    boiling water
2 oz      butter
4 oz      caster sugar
2 oz       vanilla sugar*
1      egg, beaten
8 oz      self-raising flour

Topping:
8 oz      dark muscovado sugar
5 oz       butter
6 tbs      double cream

Place the topping ingredients in a saucepan and stir over a gentle heat to melt the butter and dis-solve the sugar.  Boil for 3 minutes then divide between two pudding basins.  (capacity 1½ Eng-lish pints = 30 fl oz)

Combine the apricots, bicarb of soda and water in a food processor.  Leave to soak about 10 minutes then process till almost smooth.   Leave to cool.

Cream the butter and sugar till light and fluffy then beat in the egg.  Sift on the flour and fold in gently.  Stir the apricot mixture in to make a batter and divide between the two pudding bowls.

Cover each with foil and secure tightly with string.  Place the bowls on a trivet in a large pan and surround with hot water to come half way up.   Cover the pan and steam the puddings for 1½ hours, checking every 20 minutes to top up the water.

Remove the foil and turn the puddings out onto serving plates.   Serve sliced in wedges with cream.

*Add 1 - 2 vanilla pods to a jar of sugar and store two to three weeks before using.  The pods will last for some time with changes of sugar.  Alternatively use plain sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla essence.

Bon appettit!, Obbelix

Obxx - Vendée France

Jitterbug

• Hectare
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 17:16:08 »
Ooh Heavens - so many to choose from.  Well my verdict so far - tried the Nigella Lawson one - it tasted nice but looked a bit of a mess - the top was a bit dry and cracked bu the goo was at the bottom - so I am going to try the Gary Rhodes one tomorrow as it sounds about right to get that kinda gooey, spongey mess..  Will let you know. ;D ;D ;D  The things that I have to do for my fellow allotmenteers ::)

Then if that does not work will try the others... tough job - but someone has to do it........ Only problem is that I might as well just smear the stuff on my hips because I know thats where its going to end up. ;D ;D ;D

Jitterbug

Jitterbug

• Hectare
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 20:24:50 »
Just an update on the recipe sally-cinnamon sent in.  I tried it and it is absolutely scrumptious - will definitely be going into my recipe file.  The family thought that it was great.  I doubled the recipe and gave my eldest son and his girlfriend one for their christmas lunch as well.

Yummy

Jitterbug

RosieMcPosie

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 10:28:18 »
does anyone have a recipie for sticky toffee pudding which doesn't have dates or dried fruit in? that sounds too healthy for me- could i just leave them out?
i've never eatin sticky toffee pudding with dried fruit in it  ???
proud owner of a lottie since August 2007!

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 23:39:03 »
I made one by making a sponge from 3 eggs and equal weights of everything else (using half caster and half muscavado sugar). I then added a heaped dessert spoon of black treacle and 8 chopped sweetened dates. In the bottom of the bowl I put about 6 dessert spoons of golden syrrup, placed the cake mixture on top and steamed for about 2 hours in a pudding bowl.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 01:35:32 »
does anyone have a recipie for sticky toffee pudding which doesn't have dates or dried fruit in? that sounds too healthy for me- could i just leave them out?
i've never eatin sticky toffee pudding with dried fruit in it  ???

Sticky Toffee Pudding

8oz caster sugar
8oz self-raising flour
8oz butter
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8oz butterscotch sauce (see below)

Sauce
1 block butter
1 capful whisky
3 generous tablespoons treacle
4 generous tablespoons golden syrup
75 gr double cream

Serves: 8 allegedly.

Prepare the sauce first, melting the butter over a gentle heat and adding the whisky, treacle and golden syrup. Mix until all the ingredients are well combined, remove from heat and stir in the cream. For the pudding itself, combine the sugar and butter in a bowl and add the three eggs. Fold the flour in a little at a time. Add the vanilla essence and just under half of the butterscotch sauce. Mix well and pour the mixture into a suitably sized cake tin, preferably a loaf tin or a pudding baisin. Cook at gas mark 5 (190 degrees) for approximately 20 minutes. Turn out onto baking rack to cool. Cut a slice of the sponge and pour over a generous helping of the warmed butterscotch sauce. Serve with vanilla ice cream
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 01:37:38 by Baccy Man »

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 13:37:04 »
RosieMcPosie - There's nothing healthy about Stick Tofee Pudding.  It's completely wicked and delicious.  The dates just help make the cake texture rich and sticky but somehow deceptively light too.
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal