Author Topic: camera for my kid  (Read 3958 times)

sarah

• Hectare
camera for my kid
« on: December 04, 2007, 10:18:24 »
my head is in a spin!! i have been trawling the internet looking at reviews for digital cameras as i want to buy one for my son who will be nine in a couple of weeks.  i dont have much money; fifty pounds is really my upper limit. I want something that takes an sd card (i have a spare one of these so wont need to buy one); has a viewfinder and not just a lcd display so that batteries dont get used up so quick. ideally  3 to 5 megapixels and a bit of optical zoom. not too many gimmicks but good quality pictures.  Theres so many out there i dont want to waste what little money i have on  a rubbish one when i am pretty sure i should be able to get something to suit him. I would prefer to but new and not from ebay as i have made that mistake before.  has anyone got any  recommendations?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: camera for my kid
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 16:05:04 »
there's a vivitar 5mp camera in the new gift catalogue from asda, don't know the specifics but maybe others will know how good it is, 49.99 including a removeable waterproof case  ;D

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 17:52:50 »
thanks manics i will check it out. ;)

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 14:13:26 »
I'm probably too late here, but you shouldn't have any trouble finding something suitable sarah, and I won't add to the confusion by making a specific recommendation. So why have I popped my head up? Cameras are heavy on batteries, and a solution that works for me is: make sure you buy one that takes standard (AA or AAA) batteries, then use rechargeables. Slightly more cost to start with, but no doubt you know the cost of alkaline batteries, and for technical reasons, they can actually last longer per charge than your normal heavily-advertised alkaline. Another tip if I may? A high number of megapixels is not the be-all-and-end-all. For screen-only viewing, 5 is p-l-e-n-t-y. Mine is actually 2. It sounds like his first digital camera, so you'll be able to find out what he wants from one before you are asked for a better one next Christmas.   :o I always console myself with this thought: whichever one you end up with, you'll never know what the other one was like. ;D

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 14:53:04 »
no, youre not too late i am still dithering! thanks for the input though. i have rechargables and a charger so thats no extra expense. i tend to use rechargable as a matter of course these days. I agree with everything you say about mega pixels too, i am happy for his to be x3 or 4. my own camera is only six and its plenty.  i will decide soon!  ;D

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 09:37:49 »
Argos are doing some good offers on digi cameras...This one looked ok ..
Niikon 5mp 3xoptical zoom, 4xdigital .Takes AA's .Sd compatable ...
under £50 ..There's some a lot cheaper too..  Cheers Jim.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 09:44:12 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 09:45:26 »
Nikon = good.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 10:10:41 »
I'll check it out.  ;)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 14:32:23 »
On the whole I'd ignore digital zoom - you usually can achieve a better result by zooming and cropping the picture later on your PC. The optical zoom is the important one.

rover75

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 20:37:15 »
daughtres vivitar not good at all beware and sd cards i would strongly recomend not putting yours in it can cause damage always buy new with camera or seperate if yours has been used then you put your new camera at risk also do not use batteries that are reccomend with the camera

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 18:26:15 »
Argos are doing some good offers on digi cameras...This one looked ok ..
Niikon 5mp 3xoptical zoom, 4xdigital .Takes AA's .Sd compatable ...
under £50 ..There's some a lot cheaper too..  Cheers Jim.

i bought him the nikon. its fab. does loads of stuff. he's loving it. thanks for the tip.

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 20:48:34 »
Good choice  ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 21:03:50 »
Ahhhh! This site is just so full of helpful people.
Now! I have this 'ere Kodak Brownie without a film wind-on thingy.....should I make one from an old cotton reel or chuck the whole thing in the bin?

PS: Glad you were sorted Sarah.... :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal