Author Topic: Hurdles as Windbreaks  (Read 2105 times)

kidsspace

• Not So New ...
Hurdles as Windbreaks
« on: December 01, 2007, 22:06:58 »
I'd really like to make some willow or hazel hurdles to use as windbreaks on my very exposed allotment (yes, I know what I'm doing!).  Does anyone have any ideas of where I might get the materials from?  I've tried the local wildlife trust but they're not cutting any at the moment.  Alternatively, any other ideas for cheap windbreaks? :)
All ideas gratefully received.
Thanks
Ann
Kidsspace :)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Hurdles as Windbreaks
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 22:11:16 »
I doubt they will be cutting any till spring kidsspace, have you tried to google suppliers in your area? Sometimes garden centres have cheapo looking hurdle type things, but I dont think they're very strong.

Good luck and welcome to the site  ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 08:50:53 »
hiya, kidsspace..welcome to the site, we grow our own hazel but all ours is cut in autumn, after we take the nuts off  ;D
hope you find someone with some left  :)

kidsspace

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 21:36:01 »
Thannks for the response guys.
I'm sure something will turn up before the winds batter my winter beans and peas to bits! :)

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 21:39:04 »
How about windbreak netting (or shade netting)?  May not be as pretty but it will do the job, and may be available in your local garden centre

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 23:13:27 »
hi kidsspace, have a look for a local thatcher, he will beable to help you, and if you ask him/her sweetly he'll build you some for a price, as they are an art to make,  ;D ;D ;D
my allotment
heaven

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 12:27:34 »
Hi Kidspace

Sounds like you are a handyperson and good luck with making your hurdles!  I would love something like that.  Where I live I used to go out and collect my own bean sticks but it is quite hard work lugging them back from the hills!

Until you get the bits you need why don't you ask at a scaffolding company for the netting stuff that they have round scaffolding to stop stuff blowing away.  They must have bits that are too small to re-use lying around! Otherwise you can buy the stuff but it only comes in HUGE rolls - far too much for smallish jobs - but some of the rest you can use as tunnel type covers to keep pests/wind out.  It comes in 3 colours and you can find it on ebay - problem is I can't remember what they call it!

Silly Old Bird

;D

franklynn

• Not So New ...
  • Wet In Doncaster
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 10:14:06 »
Hi why not get hold of willow or hazel plants and create your own living windbreaks, yes I know it will take years.
Frank

kidsspace

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 22:23:33 »
Thanks, there's some good ideas there.  No thatchers round here - derbyshire peak district, but I've applied to santa for some hazel and willow saplings to plant for the future.  The netting sounds like a good start for now, I'll see what I can scrounge.
Thanks for the response. :) :)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 18:16:42 »
Passing thought.  Surely hurdles would be too dense? Teaching is for a 50%? density??

And the protected area is 3 times the height of the break.

In 'the olden days' we used to have a 6' Rokolene break around the lotties.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 16:24:57 »
Google for local willow weavers.  They are currently using freshly cut stems for making potentially living sculptures.  I'm booked in for a course on Tuesday using fresh willow.  They're quite cheap.  The expensive bit is the teacher so maybe you could order some through a local craftsman or woman.  If you don't want them to grow, just let them dry out in a garage for a week or so.   Garden centres also sometimes stock hazel stems for use as rustic bean poles.
Obxx - Vendée France

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 22:34:31 »
Willow will root very easily especially in wet ground. If you have access to willow trees see if you can persuade the owner to let you have some thin branches maybe up to 4' long. Push them into the soil at about 6-12" apart and stand back and wait. Not all will root but at least you will have the start of a wind break. You can weave them together if you want when they show signs of growth.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal