Author Topic: Help needed for a cousin.  (Read 4673 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Help needed for a cousin.
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 08:13:12 »
Can't dispute your fact, Valmarg & yes, any wound will invite disease. BUT, as a general rule:

1. Allowing even one or two side shoots to grow on gives the crowding that we should try to avoid.

2. If all branches carry fruit, you have a support problem?

3. If the side shoots carry fruit, surely this delays the production & ripening of fruit on the main stem?

4. If you have more than average fruit, do you increase your feed?

Am I wrong in assuming that yours are indoors?  I know that many 'beefs' prefer outdoors. If the former, in what medium?

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 12:47:55 »
Advice from RHS

Re leafs:
"Do not remove the leader of cordon types; also, stop sideshooting after August to divert water away from the fruits and reduce the potential for splitting."

This implies that you should sideshoot up until August.

I think it depends on how advanced the fruit are, not the date. In August this year a lot of mine had hardly formed!

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 14:40:45 »
Oh dear tim, I'm in charge of buying the seeds, and picking the fruit.  OH is in charge of the bit in between so I've just had to consult him.

The variety Brandywine is the main one that he leaves the side shoots on, basically because the leader 'stops', and you only have side shoots.  From the American sites he has visited he says they grow them in cages, and they are like a bush rather than the cordon varieties we grow.  Since he's been following this method we have had good crops of Brandywine, which is a variety we rather like.  Another variety he does this with is Supersteak, which we get from T&M.  The variety I recommended - Mountain Pride - he would take out the side shoots.

1. Of the plants we grow, not many are these varieties, so it doesn't get too crowded.

2. OH says he ties them in.

3. As I said in the top bit, they are more a bush variety than a truss variety, so give or take a bit they ripen more or less together.

4.  OH is in charge of feed, but he says yes.

No you're not wrong, they are indoors.  They are grown in large pots in a 50/50 mixture of home made compost and bought multipurpose, which are placed on the greenhouse border.

What I can say is that we have had a very good year this year, and that'll teach me to try to sound more knowledgable than I am!!

valmarg

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2007, 15:25:55 »
Oh, bushes! I'm with you now.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal