Author Topic: Plot Help  (Read 1466 times)

tartonterro

• Acre
Plot Help
« on: November 28, 2007, 20:45:38 »
needing some help with planning the plot for next year which will be my 1st growing season, ive got a list of the stuff i want to grow - but need advise on what can be grown together as im aware some plants can and cannot be grown together as well as the fact i know i will have to rotate the crops.  if i can get some suggestions of what can be grown together i will be greatfull.  i will have 3 6 x 4 raised beds, one im gona be growing sweetcorn, french beans and courgettes together in the 3 sisters system, the rest of my selection is
peas
cabbage
brussels sprout
pak choi
mange-tout
beetroot
carrots
bunching onions
spring onions
leeks
brocolli
salad leaves

thanks in advance

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Plot Help
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 22:09:09 »
You can put the summer cabbage and Pak choi amongst the sprouts and they will be out before the sprouts need the room...
Same with the spring onions and the leeks..

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 08:18:10 »
Just go group your list into their 'families' so to speak to make things a bit clearer:

peas
mange-tout

broccoli
cabbage
brussels sprout
pak choi

bunching onions
spring onions
leeks

beetroot
carrots

salad leaves

You will need to consider the time it takes for each crop to mature but the plants as grouped together above have similar growing requirements and should do well grown together.  Salad leaves (of the cut and come again type) can be grown in and amongst everything else, space permitting.  I would be inclined to plant all the root crops, including the onions, leeks, etc in one bed together.

CécileB

• Not So New ...
    • Terre de Lozère
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 10:07:44 »
That's a very big topic. Have you got some books  to start you off (John Seymour, Sara Raven, Monty Don give sound practical advice) ?
You can plan not just for summer or winter crops, but also for spring and autumn. Rocket salad for instance, does not do very well in summer because it's a martyr to flea beetle and also gets too peppery in hot weather. But it's wonderful as a spring or automn crop, and mine do very well at this very moment under cold frame. To some extent, the same apply to many oriental greens (Pak Choi certainly does much better as an autumn crop, even in winter under cloche). 

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 16:26:40 »
I've got a hedge of rocket right now, in flower! I'd gather them into families, after reading a few books to work out what families they are, and then don't worry too much about the occasional adaptations you'll have to make. I rotate spuds and tomatoes sort of together, but if they're too close they can spread blight to each other; followed by onions, leeks, and peas and beans all together; then brassicas, then roots (though the last couple of years I've run out of puff before getting the roots in!)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal