Author Topic: 4 beds and 1 load of manure  (Read 2675 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
4 beds and 1 load of manure
« on: November 29, 2007, 14:21:59 »
I think the plan to divide an allotment into 4 main areas for vegetables  is such a good idea I intend to try it.   Now where do I put the manure please.   I have fruit growing at one end and this load of manure at the other, and ground in between which I am going to divide into 4.  Are there any crops where manure should not go at this time of the year for planting next Spring.  Many thanks to the experts out there.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: 4 beds and 1 load of manure
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 16:21:14 »
The only bed to avoid is the one you want to grow roots like carrots and parsnips in as this will make them fork badly...
 ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 16:22:12 »
There is a bit of info here http://tinyurl.com/ytwqf9 but having said that, a lot depends upon what your ground is like now.

Is it light or heavy? when was it last mucked.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 20:31:38 »
I would save it just for your spuds unless you have a lot of it - runners like it rich as do tomatoes and cucs if growing them outside - I wouldn't put any on your fruit as it will encourage leaf at the expense of fruit - grow some comfrey for feeding the fruit, neither would I put manure on peas or climbing beans or roots except onions quite like it - it also depends on well rotted the manure is

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 21:05:09 »
I have found that you only need to put a small amount of manure in when you plant the cucmber or courgette. Just dig a hole about a spade depth and fill up with manure etc. Then put the cucumber in the compost. This means that although it likes the stuff id doesn't need a vast amount. If you are after growing vast monsters or for shows the above doesn't apply.

I did this with cucumbers last Summer and had to knock on doors to give away teh cucmbers I had so many.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 09:16:34 »
it was the same with everyone last year with cucumbers - it was most definitely 'year of the cuc'  ;)

it seems every year something fails but every year many things excel

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 16:28:05 »
I agree with the post above - manure the spuds, then the other veg will benefit as they rotate.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal