Author Topic: manure  (Read 4741 times)

chilly

manure
« on: November 27, 2007, 17:44:02 »
hi    i  have  just  aquired  an  allotment    and  have  turned  the  ground  over  incorporating  horse  manure   is  there  any  way  too  much  manure  can  be  detremental  to  the  ground

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
Re: manure
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 23:55:06 »
I suppose it could alter the PH of the soil too much one way, the opposite would be to add too much lime. ( I think?)

Plus don't forget that root crops (carrots/parsnips) don't like manure or they will grow all forked and weird.
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 23:51:18 »
hi chilly, manure works better if left for a year or so to allow it to break down allowing the nutrients for the plant to feed on, and dont burn roots if planted on really fresh manure.
question:- was the horse manure straw or wood shavings based, as these will work differently, fresh straw will take out nitrogen when breaking down and woodshaving will take about two year to break down,
if your worried about the pH of the soil, do a check, and a good scale for a neutral growing is 5-7 on the meter,
the general rule for adding manure, the more you can add the better the ground will like it this will allow the root to travel through it easier, and if you can double dig your soil, as much as you can, this will help drainage, you'll find after a few years youll have more worm in the soil,  add mulches around your plant to help with water saving in summer time, stick to a crop rotation,
my allotment
heaven

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 20:49:17 »
I have just aquired a load of sheep manure which did not come cheap because of the travelling involved by the farmer, but this will be the first manure that will have been put on my lotty in the last four years having only aquired my allotment last October, can't wait to see the difference in next years veg :)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 21:48:56 »
This is the information I've got regarding sheep manure, though I've never tried it, as I don't know any sheep:

"Sheep manure is another "hot" manure. It is somewhat dry and very rich. Manure from sheep fed hay and grain will be more potent than manure from animals that live on pasture."
The Tuscan Beaneater

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal