Author Topic: Tomato seed trial  (Read 9047 times)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
Re: Tomato seed trial
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2008, 17:40:23 »
So how many of us got to the end ????  :-X 
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2008, 21:12:24 »
My outdoor plants got blight in this past week - the eristic tomato plants as susceptible as anything else. the plants in my tom house are just ripening now - although given we have just had mini Gustav - thunder, lightening, gales Idon't think the leaves will have stayed dry as my tom house is not that good. I will keep a watch but fear that they also may succumb to blight shortly.

So all in all an okay sauce tomato, probably slughtly more resistant to blight than Roma or San marzona but not significantly so.

But loved to take part in the trial. Did the same with calabrese several years ago!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2008, 23:35:27 »
There is another thread with more info on..but for me..the fruit are of variable size, at first I thought they were small but I have some huge ones. They matured early compared to everything else I had. Flavour is mediocre but they are very meaty with few seeds so would be great for a sauce. I have had no blight on anything at all so can't comment on that. I will pick some more tomorrow and put some pictures on XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2008, 02:46:22 »
Well it was an experiment therefore there has to be conclusions so I ask all who took part to report whether it would be worth rounding up the seed to try again next year. I personally saw no significant resistance compared to the parent plant but this was a difficult year for outdoor tomatoes to say the least.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for giving their valuable time and limited space to this project.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2008, 10:47:32 »
Here we ... saved from blight ... now Green Tomato Relish !!

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2008, 15:59:19 »
Some of mine are very big too, but really struggling to ripen now. More relish making here as well ;D ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2008, 16:25:43 »
Are those quails eggs?

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2008, 17:31:54 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.....oh heck, I put mine against sparrow eggs.

Mine (some) are the size of duck eggs..............brag brag :P
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2008, 17:44:42 »
In shape,  the toms look very like Floridity.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2008, 17:59:53 »
Are those quails eggs?
  ..... ::) ;D ;D ;D 

Nope thems is proper big chook eggs  ... and that's a giant spoon rest too !! :D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2008, 20:19:24 »
Hi Erisitic, I have about 100 seeds from your original seeds for you. There will be more if you need them as I still have more fruit.

These were picked off  3 of  the biggest of  fruits, each one weighed 6 1/4 ounces give or take a tad.

My thoughts on the tom .

At first I wasn't keen, the first fruits were small and quite bland but they got bigger as the season rolled on, the taste improved too.

I grew two inside and one out, there was no real difference in taste but the outside one was about three weeks behind.

I got no blight on them, but to be fair I didn't have any on anything else either.

The plants were very robust, super prolific and they made a very good size in the end.

I  cordoned the two inside ones and let the outside one do it's own thing, I feel they are not a bush as the outside one just kept going tied to a trellis.  I finally had to top it at about 5 feet.

They make an excellent sauce, very  few seeds, very meaty thick walls, cooked down very thick.Deep red colour if left to fully mature.

Would I grow them again.. yes..I am taking some of the seed to Canada with me. They grew better than my other plums actually.

Thank you for allowing me to take part, it was quite interesting.

Please PM me your address to send the seeds to.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal