Author Topic: Tomato seed trial  (Read 9082 times)

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Tomato seed trial
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 11:54:13 »
Just to update, I've now gone through the seed and there was lots more than my original guesstimate and there is still seed available. In order to ensure as many people participate as possible, I will hold the remaining seed for a couple of weeks and share it out between you. Anyone still wanting to have a go should send me a PM and please include your address. Offer open to anyone in UK or EU.

I am in the process of setting up a web page and am considering what information needs to be recorded. At the moment all I think matters is the number of plants growing and situation vis under glass or grown in open ground. Later maybe how many plants are surviving. What else?

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 12:03:40 »
Got the seed this morning eristic thank you, I dunno.....maybe size, taste, drought resistance, germination rates, pollination success, pest and other disease resistance.

I will do some in the open and some under glass, hopefully that may give you growing differences in my area.
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 13:32:00 »
I received mine too ... thank you  :)

Growing condidtions maybe ? ... such as types of soil ... ring culture / open ground etc ??

Best cooked results ... flavour / qualiity of sauce etc ??
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2007, 14:08:34 »
Thanks Eristic - seeds arrived this morning. Can't think of anything to add to all the above, just keep it simple for folk like me though  ;D ;D.

Tricia

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2007, 14:31:38 »
Just to update, I've now gone through the seed and there was lots more than my original guesstimate and there is still seed available. In order to ensure as many people participate as possible, I will hold the remaining seed for a couple of weeks and share it out between you. Anyone still wanting to have a go should send me a PM and please include your address. Offer open to anyone in UK or EU.

I am in the process of setting up a web page and am considering what information needs to be recorded. At the moment all I think matters is the number of plants growing and situation vis under glass or grown in open ground. Later maybe how many plants are surviving. What else?

Hi Eristic,

I used to be a member of the HDRA many years ago and they often called on members to do seed trials.  They had a checklist that you had to work through - am sure they would share this with you if you asked, though I think you have covered pretty much everything above as it is.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2007, 16:21:53 »
I would love to be included in trying the seeds out as my tomatoes were a disaster this year and have been for quite a few years now.  I am sure 5 seeds would be enough for me as I was thinking of not growing any tomatoes on the plot, but stuck as I don't have a garden at home and tomatoes are one of my favourite homegrown veg.  Many thanks if you have them to spare, if you let me know how much the postage is I will send it to you.

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2007, 19:49:59 »
Hi Eristic - got the seed today, ta very much, should be able to try under glass and in the open next year

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2007, 20:11:05 »
seeds arrived safely today thank you very much

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2007, 20:30:38 »
Got mine today, thanks. I get blight at some point every year, so they're bound to be put to the test.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2007, 22:07:13 »
C'est arrive!
 ;D

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2007, 22:29:46 »
Mine arrived as well.

I'm looking forward to the results.  I'll grow alongside Brandywine and Super Mamande, with some in the greenhouse as well.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2007, 22:01:36 »
Seeds arrived safely on the other side of the pond,thanks a lot.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2007, 22:54:36 »
C'est arrive!
 ;D

Me too! - thanks!!

Being a simple chap, my understanding is that we're primarily looking for blight tolerance. I suggest that we should record anything that may influence this, and at this stage should be ignoring taste etc...  sorry, I know we only grow it for the taste, but hear me out!

Whilst taste, texture, etc could be useful, and one day it should be the only aim of any project like this, the relative humidity and min/max temps for the last few days would be a lot more useful.

Possibly at this stage, and the more wine I drink thinking about it, the more important it becomes, would be a measure of the gap between first local exposure and these plants showing signs of blight. Any thoughts?

One day my firends, <he says, climbing onto his soap box and warming to the theme>, if we can find something to outlive blight, we will be able to have all the texture, size & taste combinations we could ever imagine!!! And the tomato in all of our personal dreams can be there for us to pick without the rotten hands of capitalism... er, and blight,,,,etc>

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2007, 23:19:52 »
Yes! My primary aim is to grow tomatoes that produce more than 3 or 4 from the bottom truss before turning into a rotten pulp. Truly scientific experiments would record weather details and prevailing conditions in great detail but this may not be practical.

I'll have a think about this and may build some sort of weekly tick box system for later interpretation but I do not want to turn this into a chore for everyone. I'm in the process of setting up participants with log-in details and a PM is on its way to everyone later tonight.

If the seeds remain true to the parent, you will get good general purpose tomatoes ideal for cooking. I rendered all mine into soup bricks as it was not ideal weather for salads so failed to eat one raw.

Riffster

• Half Acre
  • Chief Wormer
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2007, 16:04:52 »
Pm'ed you Eristic... ta

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2007, 19:37:31 »
Many, many thanks Eristic, I received them today, quiet made my day. :)

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2007, 21:03:47 »
Eristic just picked up this thread ( been away for a few days) sounds fantastic! am I too late to request a few seeds? 5 would  be great. would be happy to send S.A.E. please let me know.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2007, 22:04:04 »
There should be enough seed for about 15 - 20 more people and I'm now holding the letters so that I can reduce the seed quantity if needed. If you fancy helping in this trial do not leave it too long to contact me  or you may miss out.

Its only about 8 weeks now before the lucky folks with greenhouses will be sowing their tomato seed. Proud owners of windowsills such as myself will be a few weeks behind but by then Christmas will just be a distant memory.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2007, 12:43:15 »
Will pm you. I have no greenhouse so they will have to rough it with the other tomato plants in  the homemade polythene tomato house I cobble together each summer. But at least it has a roof and stops the plants getting too wet. This year blight struck heavily around the margins so I think I would set the trial plants across the width of the tomato house, plus a couple outside with no protection at all as controls.

God you can tell I am of the scientific persuasion can't you! :D

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2007, 13:27:35 »
As our lottie site gets lots of blight every year I tried Fantasio which is suppose to be blight resistant.  Although they withstood the blight for longer than the rest they finally caught it - and they looked quite promising - good healthy plants!  IT broke my heart to have to pull them out. 

Oh well ! better luck next time and I will be watching this strain closely to see the progress.  Good luck everyone!

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal