Author Topic: THRIVE: Gardening Projects - any info??  (Read 850 times)

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
THRIVE: Gardening Projects - any info??
« on: November 23, 2007, 12:45:24 »
http://www.thrive.org.uk/about-thrive.asp

Has anybody visited the project gardens or events sponsored by Thrive. I know a little bit about them and also "GreenGym" projects - but not a great deal. I am asking on behalf of another and would love to hear about any experiences anyone has re these charities.

Thanks
Suzanne  :)

ACE

• Hectare
Re: THRIVE: Gardening Projects - any info??
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 14:41:52 »
I was asked for advice once for a couple of greengym projects. Trouble is they seem to attract the sort of eco warriors who really havn't got a clue. Not proper gardening, imo but there, whatever rocks yer boat.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 16:16:54 »
I am not sure about the eco-warrior bits - but reading the "making a difference" piece on the Thrive website seemed to me to say that they were going in the right direction.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 17:00:18 »
I  have only had experience with greengym. I have just looked at the thrive site, The good intentions are there, but as for the gaining qualifications and getting paid work. How can it happen in reality.  I could not find a place for a disabled worker, as much as I would like to. The work is physically demanding and the rest of the team would have to carry him/her, which would eventually cause resentment. Also I am sure the less abled person would feel frustrated by being 'helped'.

Don't get me wrong I think Thrive are doing stirling work from what I have just read. But I dont think they should raise peoples expectations. There are quite a few people out there applying for jobs. Which do you think the employer will take on. They will pay lip service to the scheme, but the economics of employing less abled  do not add up.

I give up some time now and again to help out the youth offenders team, Encouraging them to do something worthwhile, getting them used to the work ethic etc. At least 80 of them have worked on my 'chaingang' only one of them has managed to get a job through it.  They are all decent kids at heart and most of them enjoyed the work, but the firms who 'promised' work never have a place availiable.

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 22:08:35 »
I could not find a place for a disabled worker, as much as I would like to. The work is physically demanding and the rest of the team would have to carry him/her, which would eventually cause resentment. Also I am sure the less abled person would feel frustrated by being 'helped'.

I am disabled (I can't walk very far or stand for very long due to arthritis in the knees)and just starting to look for a job having taken early retirement due to my inability to carry on doing what I was doing. I wouldn't dream of applying for a "physically demanding" job. Neither would I expect to be "carried". I am hoping to gain employment where my talents are equal to those able-bodied people who do the same work. My legs may be giving up, but my brain still works. However, most of us realise that we do have limitations.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal