Author Topic: how much are you paying  (Read 20927 times)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: how much are you paying
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2007, 20:44:50 »
Crikey,
I must be lucky. Since I held two plots (side by side), my rent has increased from £5 to £6 in 29 yrs. for both. I don't have water (not a prob.) but I have never suffered from any vandalism. I am indeed blessed!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2007, 22:13:37 »

Why should people who don't use up the whole 9 yards of their lottie have it taken from them ?

(Rant over for today)
[/quote]

So you think its better for everyone to take on far more than they will ever need, depriving others who cant get a plot because youre all right and s*d everyone else.  If you dont get time then thats not your fault for having innapropriate ambitions?!.  And if your weed seeds blow over eevry one else then thats fine too?

I think we have very different view points on what is fair and just in this world!
Best laid plans and all that

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2007, 22:20:51 »
We had our allotment association agm very recently and things like that seemed to be a major issue.

banshee

• Half Acre
  • Watched over by Nya
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2007, 23:19:49 »
Like Valmarg, I too do not have the pleasure of owning an allotment and have to do my growing in the garden but I'm not complaining because I simply do not have the time to dedicate to the responsibility of allotment owning or sharing. I do sympathise though for those that want more growing space but are unable to get it because of those have taken over plots for which they have no real intention of utilising to the best of their ability. I know of very few allotments close by me which are used for anything other than as dumping grounds for unwanted items, but yet as long as the rent payers continue to pay their rent then they are allowed to keep them.......its wrong in my eyes!
Little garden plot, tended by faeiries, eaten by snails............

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2007, 23:36:26 »
I think a lot of the time it's people who are busy with kids and families that need the allotments, probably more than people with lots of time on their hands who invest it in their hobbies (I have neither family nor time on my hands, so I'm the worst of both  ::)). The ideal situation is maybe what we have, where we've only had a waiting list very recently, so we're still very relaxed about plots that are getting a bit overgrown. I for one would rather watch a plot go to seed even if it set weeds all over mine, than know that someone whose husband, who'd looked after a plot for thirty years and who was sick with cancer, was also having to deal with us sending letters wanting to know if we could take their plot away because some newcomers were bored waiting.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2007, 01:45:50 »
So you think its better for everyone to take on far more than they will ever need, depriving others who cant get a plot because youre all right and s*d everyone else. 

Far more than they will ever need ??????   Plots come in units of ONE, I have ONE plot, ie one unit. My contract with the council strictly prohibits subletting.

I used to share, but got fed up with the arguments of who had planted/weeded/watered what. If I want arguments, I just put the children in the same room for 5 minutes - That's why I have an allotment - to get away from people who have nothing better to do than compain and argue.

depriving others who cant get a plot ???? I suggest you don't make assumptions. As you will note from my post on the first page of this thread, there is NO WAITING LIST, so perhaps you could tell me who I'm depriving.

If you dont get time then thats not your fault for having innapropriate ambitions?!. 

Yes I have ambitions, many ambitions. I'm not ready to give up the will to live just yet.
Mankind has and always will strive to do more. Without that drive, we'd all still be living in caves.
As for "inappropriate",  what's inappropriate about wanting to grow fruit and veg on a plot ?

And if your weed seeds blow over eevry one else then thats fine too?

No one on the allotment I attend has an "exhibition plot". There are weeds everywhere, fact of life. If you excluded all airborne seeds, you'll find,  that unless you sterilise the top 6 inches of topsoil, you'll be having weeds come up for a minimum of 20 years. Weed seeds have the ability to sit in the ground for a long time before thinking about germination. That's why their so successful. That's what makes them plants that we call weeds.

If you disagree with the way your plot neighbours treat their plots , write to the council. If they don't think your neighbours are being unreasonable, then you should take a big inward look at who has unreasonable ambitions.

If you want a perfect plot. Go buy your own piece of land and seal it off. If you want to use a public amenity, put up with what you've got, or find somewhere better.

In any case what makes you think my plot is badly managed, what makes you think it generates large amount of seeds that blow all over the place. Again a very bad assumption.

I think we have very different view points on what is fair and just in this world!

Life is never fair and just.
Life is not about what is fair and just.
Life, particularly in this country, is about living in harmony with others.

When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2007, 21:08:50 »
I think the thread has taken a sharp right turn somewhere - but hey, that's what makes it interesting.

At our site there are 38 plots, with a current waiting list of 24 :o  A recent walk round showed that only 15 plots show signs of active cultivation.  The council currently lease the site on an annual basis from the Duke of Northumberland, so it is important there appears to be active cultivation - who knows what the future holds...........

My approach (as Secretary) has been to work with the council to divide plots up to offer half plots.  These are less daunting to newbies - clay and couch is pretty scary, so far it is working well.  An unexpected result has been that inactive plotholders have seen the level of management - fence mending, community payback team clean-up and have either been re-invigorated or have given up their tenancy and those plots have also been divided up.

Yes, some newbies have asked for a full plot, our answer at the moment is No - rather get new people in, hopefully generate more activity on site and see what happens.

5rod

• Half Acre
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2007, 11:13:35 »
hi  5 rod here
looks like some people should go on ANGER MANAGEMENT COURSES
subject was how much are you paying

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2007, 20:32:29 »
TOO DAMNED MUCH!!!!!! GRRRRRRRR....  only kidding ;)

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2007, 21:48:44 »
Whilst we grow quite a bit in our back garden/greenhouse, we would just love a small lottie (please Santa).

valmarg

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2007, 07:25:55 »
5rod,

I have been monitoring annual rents recently. Including the info in this thread I have 59 samples so far - hope to get more. FYI - the story so far is that the overall average comes out at £23 for 5 rods. In the SE it is £26.

In addition, there was a survey done two years ago on this site. There were only 16 samples and the results were expressed in bands .. the average lay in £20-30 band.

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,13757.msg131583.html#msg131583
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 07:31:07 by BAK »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2007, 07:34:14 »
10 Rods is the normal Plot in Derby and the Average was £48 two years ago.. I managed to get another rent rise past the AGM to £20 per 10 rods with effect from Oct 2008!
 ;D

5rod

• Half Acre
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2007, 08:52:19 »
THANKS BAK
                  FOR YOUR INPUT ,ITS JUST NICE TO KNOW
                            ;D
I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A NICE CHRISTMAS AND A
               HAPPY NEW YAER
                           5 ROD

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2007, 10:16:57 »
I have only just caught up with this thread. Because of the length of the waiting list to obtain plots on my site which is council owned and normally managed with indifference so that less than half the plots are currently cultivated               though they are all let,  in future only half plots will be let to increase land availability overall and to make cultivating a plot less daunting to a newcomer. I think it is a good idea idea and should improve the overall level of cultivation.
Oh and for the statistics my rent is £7 per year but that is a concessionary over 60 cost :).

Grumpy-sod

« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2007, 22:17:09 »
ref. Slug_killer's over-reaction... how about growing a lil old row of chill pills!

May I humbly suggest you re-read raisedbedted's original post and consider a more appropriate reply. Surely, there are too many people who take more than their fair share in this World, and its nice to think that allotment people are part of the solution... we all live as part of a community and perhaps we should remember our actions always impact others.  Personally, I would rather give up my plot than think my inability to manage all I have taken on is making other people's life difficult. 

On topic again: 10 rods, £30 odd, worth every penny too.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2007, 22:46:56 »
Because of the increased demand for services on allotments the annual rent increase as of 1 April 2007 will be 10%. This increase is to help fund the extra costs that the Council now incurs in relation to tidying up and securing allotment sites.

As in previous years the Council will honour existing discounts that have been given to our present tenants but unfortunately all new tenancies after April 1st 2007 will be subject to the full rate for their plot.

Redcar & Cleveland Council 2007 prices per Acreage:

1/40th £12.65
1/32nd £17.60
1/27th £21.56
1/24th £23.76
1/20th £27.50
1/18th £28.49
1/17th £29.92
1/16th £31.02
1/15th £34.21
1/14th £36.30
1/13th £34.84
1/12th £40.59
1/11th £42.24
1/10th £43.78
1/9th £51.26
1/8th £58.85
1/4th £114.07

Mine is owned by the local Parish and rent is currently £20per annum. Ain't got a clue on its measurements size.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2007, 19:23:56 »
Measured my plot today. For the £20 I get an area of 10x20metres, (30x60ft).
What is this measurement in RODS or POLES???
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2007, 20:08:42 »
Not to mention PERCHES.

valmarg

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2007, 23:18:09 »
My plots are 17 foot by approx 100 foot, how many poles is that?

I have two and pay £27 each. Because I'm a Foster Carer for the local authority I get a concession on that price but not sure what it is as my Missus deals with it. We get very good discount on seeds and most soft fruit. Oh yeah, plus £3 per year affiliation to some national allotment society

Terms and conditions state 25% to be cultivated in first 3 months and at least 75% after first year. They do send out letters if they get neglected. And yes, I too get mildly, well, upset more than annoyed when I see plots being neglected.

We're allowed sheds, greenhouses and have plenty of water taps in every direction albeit we only supposed to use a hose for filling water butts... Yeah, Yeah!

Allowed chickens rabbits and bees but not large fruit trees. There's vehicle access all round and I bribed the council chaps with some french beans to bulldoze me parking space on the waste ground directly at the end of my plots while they were rotorvating a vacant plot.

Security is reasonably good although some bar steward nicked every bamboo cane from the site including all my new 8' ones I bought and also my bloody great pumpkin I'd nurtured and helped my foster kids grow for Halloween.

Basic toilet facilities = Bucket in the corner of the shed.

Think that just about covers it.

Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2007, 13:32:35 »
My plots are 17 foot by approx 100 foot, how many poles is that?

I lied, they are both 17 by 165 foot. Measured them properly this morning. That makes each one exactly 10x1 poles. That's a total of 20 square poles... Is there such a thing as a square pole or is a square pole a post?

So if I walk up and down twice that's a furlong :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 13:44:13 by Plot69 »
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal