Author Topic: how much are you paying  (Read 21361 times)

morton

• Half Acre
Re: how much are you paying
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2008, 21:41:58 »
Being a new member to this site I did not appreciate the difference in rents around the country. It seems very much like the post code lottery with the NHS. My lottie is 80 yards by 10 yards approx for only £5.50 per year although we do pay another £2 on top to keep in the kitty for our own unforseens. The rents have not gone up for 20 years or so and yet we still get moans from some of our members.
We do not have water laid on as such although we are on relatively sandy soil and there are underground springs. I dug down the depth of a 40 gallon drum 5 years ago and set up a well on mine so now I do have water laid on in effect. Others have since followed suit.
We have to provide our own sheds so its a right old shanty town like allotments in the old days.
The allotments are church owned and we do worry what will happen if some rich developer comes calling but we soldier on.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2008, 08:56:35 »
Hiya, morton and welcome..wow, that's a good price, we pay 25.00 to the club, the same to our association and 10.0 membership to the club as well..but, things are about to change  ;D

gtm41658

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2008, 09:10:08 »
we pay £4/pole to council and £3 association fees...gives us among other things 10% discount in local garden centre

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2008, 21:55:15 »
Just got our annual bill. It's now £18, a bit more than last year- no association, no water, no nothing really- just the plot and an occasional hedge trim if we nag the council enough!

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2008, 22:28:12 »
Our rent was £15 last year but we now have taps on most allotments (and a knackered path) so I expect it to go up this year.

Teena

• Not So New ...
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2008, 15:59:30 »
Having just read all the posts in this subject I am quite chuffed with our plots.
We paid £6 per plot last year inluding our membership fee.
We have no water, no loos, a carpark across from the gate plus small ones on site. We only live 1/4 mile away so walk over most days. Its very friendly and theres usually someone to help if needsbe. When our new shed was delivered in bits, it was up and being used within two hours. The other plotholders just came over and got stuck in.
Our site was gifted to the locals (as I understand it) so cannot be sold or built on although it must be worth a few bob by now, our plots are 100ft x 25ft approx and there are about 100. There is a waiting list. New rents are due in March. Last years rise was 50p i think so we're expecting much the same this year.
Teena

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2008, 17:10:49 »
This is why I love my allotment. Everyone is so friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.
Our AGM is on 18th Jan and I will find out the nitty gritty of things then. Although I was told last year as my plot was in dire straights it would be free this year. The rent is so small about £10.00
We have a few taps, room for one vehicle (to unload and go). No loos. Sheds OR greenhouses only allowed around the outside on three sides.
It's on a very steep north facing slope...with a fabulous view of the river Teign and looking out to sea.
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2008, 15:34:43 »
iM SO JEALOUS!

Because i live in northern ireland and theres not really any legal right to a plot i have a choice of two private plot sites both charge £200 for a half plot! in the contracts they require that the plot holder has insurance (so that if the landowner bangs his toe on your spade he can sue you becuase he was on your plot) which costs a min of £55 if youre a member nslg!

There are one or two plot owners who turn up in very clean bmws! which makes me laugh and theres no kidding ourselves that we are saving money by growing fruit veg and flowers , but love to garden and cant afford own house and well the raspberries and sweetpea make my day.

So cheer up you guyd thinking about a few pounds rent increase it really could be worse!
x sunloving 

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2008, 20:41:11 »
I lied, they are both 17 by 165 foot.

Wish mine was that big ;D ;D ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2008, 07:33:23 »
fyi - update on average rents.

As previously posted, I have been collecting info on rents for a couple of months - now called a halt.

I have 86 samples in total.

The overall average for 5 poles is £22. In the SE (where I am) it is £26

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2008, 07:57:45 »
Thanks for that info - just in time for our AGM on Monday. Just in case anyone moans about our fees going up every year, I can point out that we are exactly half the national average, ie £22.50 for 10 poles!

alienwithaview

• Quarter Acre
  • Lou the cat and young thrush, now happily grown up
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2008, 15:02:53 »
We have 2 plots now, one ca. 5 rods, the other one 8 rods - in South West Wiltshire. We pay £14 each this year, and it's going up to £ 18 per plot in September. This is a lot cheaper than our plot before in West Sussex (ca. £ 25 per plot, and smaller).

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2008, 16:01:00 »
I'm lucky I have a 24x60 and it cost me £1.75  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

jockomorrocco

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2008, 17:34:00 »
i pay £20 a year and my plot is 66ft x 75 ft

pako

• Not So New ...
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2008, 20:50:48 »
i pay 20 quid mine are quite big,and a certain person sort of talked me into another bit if someone else dont take it  :-[ :P

jockomorrocco

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2008, 20:52:41 »
now now mike anyone would think i twisted your arm

pako

• Not So New ...
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2008, 21:17:13 »
 :-[ it wont be too bad the extra bit now its rotavated and i think its free this year!!!!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2008, 20:07:11 »
Just had my bill in,  £51.30 +  £5.40  water rate total   £56.70   for 9 poles, mine is on the end so I lose a bit but I still reckon its a bit smaller than 9 poles.  ???     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2008, 20:11:22 »
We have been told our rent will remain the same this year at £20. (5.5 poles)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2008, 19:37:00 »
Got our notification from the council today - £54 per 10 pole plot !  :o
Checked back, and we paid £26 per 10 pole plot in 2005
- more than doubled in 3 years

We've got two, so even keeping one in Grandma's name to get a 50% OAP discount means a bill of £81 this year  ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal