Author Topic: how much are you paying  (Read 20924 times)

Blue Bird

• Hectare
Re: how much are you paying
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2007, 18:04:32 »
I have half a plot and it costs me £14 per year and have water supplied but we can not keep live stock.

OAP's get these at half rent !

steveuk

• Half Acre
  • Good map point is on my patch
    • My Allotment Patch
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2007, 18:14:34 »
our allotments are

£10.00 for full plot
£5.00  for half plot
£2.50 for quarter
If i knew were to start i would LoL
http://mypatch-steve.blogspot.com/

firstofficerspong

• Not So New ...
  • South Devon
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2007, 19:35:26 »
£36 for a 12m x 5m plot...that's a quarter plot isn't it?  It's that or nothing down here  :-\

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2007, 21:06:24 »
We pay 8p a square meter half price for OAPs, £8 a year for water, on site parking. Shop open on sundays. Sheds, greenhouses, polytunnels and smoking huts (for smoking ham and fish etc) allowed. Livestock can also be kept, we get free deliveries of wood chippings, We can also help ourselves from the orchard which contains apples (cookers and eaters) pears, plums, blackberries and medlars, and in a couple or years we will get hazel canes from our own hazel trees  :)
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2007, 21:19:55 »
Well, according to the agreement, I will be getting 205 square metres or thereabouts for £20 a year.
Its about 40ft wide and I can't remember the length - measured. I doubt if it is 205 sq metres of growing space
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Spanner

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 12:34:14 »
Mine is £18/year for a 5 rod plot. We've got water troughs close by and security is pretty good. Sheds and greenhouses are allowed. There is also a toilet, common tool store, shop, tea, coffee, kettle and a microwave. If you're lucky there is still drinkable milk in the fridge too.

paulg

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2007, 17:25:26 »
Just got my plot 2 weeks ago in Herts. It is 12mtrs by 14 mtrs and costs £16 a year. Its a site owned by a local charity so has no facilties other than one water supply.

Paul

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 17:27:24 »
I have a double plot approx 40ft by 90ft and the cost is £40 (should be £80 but is subidised by the parish).

This includes water charges.

Cambourne7

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2007, 18:54:08 »
I received my bill this morning for 2007, £54 which includes the water charge. We have basic toilets, fencing with locked gates, drive in and parking, water tanks, mine is a very short walk, wood chips delivered and sort of a shop storage place which never seems to be open. Its meant to be 225 square metres but being on the end I reckon I've been sold short, one will endeavor to look in to this further.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

VP

• Quarter Acre
  • Get me out of here!
    • Vegplotting
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2007, 15:30:00 »
It's 50 quid this year for a 10 rod (or lug in my allotment soc's parlance) including water (when it's not switched off for the winter). This also includes 45% off seeds from DT Brown, a couple of outings/barbecue per year and a monthly talk on a gardening or related topic. Last month's was a bloke from the Met Office.
 :-\
Best wishes,

VP
---------------------------------------------
http://vegplotting.blogspot.com

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2007, 20:13:24 »
I hope you don't mind if I cry into my beer.

There are no allotments at all in this area whatsoever.

Of the rental prices quoted corneykev's is the most expensive at £54.00, which at just over £1.00 per week has got to be better value than the TV licence fee - ie, corney must get more entertainment from his lottie in a year than he would ever get from his TV.

The beauty of a lottie is that you save loads of money by growing your own, and not having to buy fruit and veg.  You have got to save much, much more than your rental by growing your own.

Sorry, but most rentals seem very low.

I just wish I could get a lottie, not quite at any price, but on a par with some of the prices quoted.

valmarg

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2007, 21:23:26 »

... We have basic toilets ...

We also have basic toilets, a hole in the ground in a vacant plot, old tyre on top with brambles growing through it.

The beauty of a lottie is that you save loads of money by growing your own.

That really depend son how much you value your time - digging, sowing, weeding, watering, pest control etc.
 - For anything I grow, its cheaper to buy it in the shops.

I only grow things that cannot be bought in the shops and also grow for quality/taste

- The money side of things doesn't come into it.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2007, 23:03:21 »
pesky, would you like to rewind to the top of this thread, and read that others were whinging about the rental prices that they had to pay for their allotments.

Not being able to have an allotment, we only have our garden in which to grow fruit and veg.

If the produce is cheaper to buy in the shops, then don't bother growing your own, and accept that you may be taking in fungicides/pesticides.

The reason why we grow our own is that we know that no fungicides/pesticides have been sprayed on them, and whilst we would not be allowed to class our fruit and veg as organic, we know that they are pure and unadulterated.

Don't we all grow for quality and taste??

Where the money side comes into it is that we do not need to buy overpriced tasteless tomatoes, flat dried runner beans, dried out peas, over priced raspberries, tasteless strawberries, when we can grow our own.

valmarg

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2007, 09:19:04 »
£20 for my plot. If you do a search - this topic was raised earlier in the year and I believe one lucky punter is paying around £100 :o :o :o
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2007, 09:34:57 »
Pesky, I agree wholeheartedly.  Allotments are rarely about saving money and far more about enjoyment and quality of produce.  When Messrs Tesco can push out some tasteless veg at 0.5p a kilo because its been pumped full of cr*p then saving money is not an option.

I pay £32 per plot (10 rods) and to be honest I would like to see this doubled!!  On both sides of me are plots taken on by people who will never cultivate the full 10 rods, one has done nothing, the other has done half in 4 years.  I say double the rents then they may not be so dog in a manger about it as its the 'thing to do' and more space will be available to people who do want a plot for the right reason.

Manybe offer a discount scheme so that the longer people cultivate the plot the more discount they get? 

Thats my (overpriced) pennies worth anyway ;D
Best laid plans and all that

RosieMcPosie

• Acre
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2007, 09:42:30 »
Pesky, I agree wholeheartedly.  Allotments are rarely about saving money and far more about enjoyment and quality of produce.  When Messrs Tesco can push out some tasteless veg at 0.5p a kilo because its been pumped full of cr*p then saving money is not an option.

thanks for this growing to eat,(and Pesky) exactly what i wanted to say
i grow fruit and veg mainly because they taste better! also because i really enjoy spending time on my lottie- learning all the time and getting fresh air and excersise too.
will admit it's probably more expensive than buying from tesco!
proud owner of a lottie since August 2007!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2007, 13:58:47 »
I pay £32 per plot (10 rods) and to be honest I would like to see this doubled!!  On both sides of me are plots taken on by people who will never cultivate the full 10 rods, one has done nothing, the other has done half in 4 years.  I say double the rents then they may not be so dog in a manger about it as its the 'thing to do' and more space will be available to people who do want a plot for the right reason.

Obviously I don't know these individuals either side of you. But some people may not be able to cultivate full plots due to age, illness or compassionate family affairs such as homecare to a family member. It is not always necessarily going to be their fault. Though I do agree with your principle if it is just pure laziness.

I am pleased I am able to cultivate my full plot to its maximum.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2007, 16:50:40 »
About £20 for ten rods or poles or whatever - it's about 6m by 42m at any rate. Came with tumbledown shed and plum and apple trees. There's also water pumps, a store, toilet facilities, a security fence and gates, and a cherry tree for scrumping, as well as areas for site compost and woodchip etc. Also a hazel coppice and a wildlife pond. Love it.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2007, 19:52:03 »

... some people may not be able to cultivate full plots due to ...

... On both sides of me are plots taken on by people who will never cultivate the full 10 rods ...

Err, you forgot to mention those who have to go out and earn a living to support their family, have children to look after, which also demand to be take out to continuous Christmas parties, and shopping. Those who when not doing their 40hrs working are expected to finish installing the new kitchen, decorate the bedroom, fix the leaking tap, prune and tidy the garden, wash and clean the cars ...

Like Pesky, my time is valuable, VERY valuable.

For me, the lottie is a place where I can hide, where I can get away from the pressures of life.

If I have time to get down there  - Fine.    If I don't  - Tough - There's a whole wide world outside the allotment.

This year has not been too bad, I've been able to keep the whole plot productive and well weeded.b But since clock change, I've been down there only once.

I've still got PFAs to dig up, the garlic ain't been planted yet and neither have the broad beans, the poles for the runners are still up (if they haven't been stolen), the strawberries needmoving, the greenhouse needs clearing and cleaning, the whole plot needs digging over ...

If I spent this Saturday catching up with the lottie, instead of with the family, Christmas shopping, would that make me a better parent?

And If I don't go, should I have my lottie taken off me ?

Should parents that don't spend ALL their time looking after their children, have them taken away ?

Why should people who don't use up the whole 9 yards of their lottie have it taken from them ?

(Rant over for today)
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

Simon05

• Half Acre
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2007, 20:27:38 »
When I first got the plot I paid £21.50 for shares, then its £3.50 a year

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal