Author Topic: New Allotment  (Read 5805 times)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Re: New Allotment
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2008, 14:08:33 »
At long last we have managed to get to grips with our allotment spent a couple of hours this morning knocking all the crap off with a strimmer bagged it all up and down to the tip, one more session of raking up the rest of the rubbish and with a bit of luck Mr&Mrs Smith will be turning over the allotment this weekend, backs bloody aching already ;D :)

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2008, 17:39:50 »
OH's back ached after Saturday's exertion!
Can't wait until 1st March when we officially take over a 2nd plot.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2008, 17:16:24 »
Well finally today after the inclement weather we have had in the past ten days we finally got down on to the allotment and actually DUG, my wife used a fork to do her stuff but I went in with the spade and it just turned over like cutting butter, but one sad point was at one part of the allotment some previous occupant had buried some glass from a previous greenhouse or cloche WHY, this inturn us to removing the bulk of it and taking it down the tip, so much for organic gardeners :(
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 17:19:38 by Mr Smith »

princescruffster

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2008, 17:27:36 »
My new allotment has glass, bricks and old corrugated sheets buried all over it. It's so disheartening when you put the spade in and CRUNCH, another load of glass. It's a shame because I wanted the kids to be involved from day one but they can't come anywhere near it at the moment.  Glass is now officially banned on my site!

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2008, 17:53:55 »
Hi,

if you have a cwg (central wool growers) store near you they do a chemical called clinic does the same as round up a 5ltr will be around the 17.00 + vat.

as for the allotment if it was dug over last year a rotovator will be ok i had the same problem last year picked up a wolsley merry tiller from ebay put a new 5hp briggs engine raked all the plot first to get rid of any dead scrub and away we went first pass was the hardest as the ground had not been dug and it was very hard went agian a second time & what a difference i then left over winter a rotovated again in the spring went down about a spade and a half in depth.
Once the plot as been moved it will be very easy to dig or rotovate in the future.

steve
today i will be growin veg!!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2008, 21:17:41 »
Steve,
         Do you have a contact for Briggs&Stratton to but a new engine, cheers

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2008, 17:32:03 »
mr smith.

here you are fella try this link

http://www.briggsbits.co.uk/

regards steve

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2008, 20:11:32 »
Steve,
         Thanks for the info, I have seen this site before do you happen to know what part of the country they are located in, cheers

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2008, 10:34:22 »
Found this in the 'Terms and Conditions' link:

Contact Details
Briggsbits.co.uk
40 Totterdown Road Weston super Mare North somerset BS23 4LN United Kingdom
Phone: 01934614505
Fax: 01934614503
Email: contact@briggsbits.co.uk
VAT No. VAT 520183192
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2008, 11:06:02 »
any briggs parts or rotovator parts let me know as i can get my hands on almost any thing ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2008, 11:11:17 »
Just back from the lotty and finished the last of the digging for this week, between the wife and myself and the rain we have done 625 sqm in three hours :)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2008, 11:53:11 »
Yippee I now have my rotovator back from my repair chap with a new recon engine 'Briggs&Stratton  5hp quamton engine runs like a trooper, so plenty of frost's to break down my rough digging and then I can have a play with my new toy, :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal