Author Topic: Just a quick note to say Hello I'm here!!  (Read 10903 times)

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Just a quick note to say Hello I'm here!!
« on: October 03, 2003, 18:00:09 »
http://[glow=red,2,300]Hello all![/glow]

I've been a pond owner for approximately 4 months!  after inheriting (through the purchase of our new house) what could only be described as a building site of a back garden.  I've managed to turn part of it into three inter-linked smallish ponds, 2 of which now have Fish!

Thanks to some sound advice on the BBC website namely from Margaret (maggie on here I think) the fish (goldfish, shubs & tench) in the top, (goldfish, orfes & comets) in the bottom seem to be doing just fine.

Would love to see what setups others on here have,  Can we post piccies etc!
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
Re: Just a quick note to say Hello I'm here!!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2003, 18:20:24 »
Hello Tony!!!! You will love it on here.You will find so many escapees from the bbc.No list of rules and regs and you can post all day and night if you want!

Plus you can send a private E mail to anyone on here.I have got to know teresa,Ruth D and Jacque quite well and we have some lovely conversations.

;) ;D ::) :o :-* :)
Margaret

Anthony

• Half Acre
[img]Re: Just a quick note to say Hello I'm here!!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2003, 18:27:42 »
I don't know Margaret!!!
"Post all day and night"
you'll have me getting sacked and/or divorced before I even get married (Next August :) )!!

If I can work out how to do it I'll post a before/after picture of the ponds!  Have you any piccies of yours?

back to work

Tony

Margaret

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2003, 18:39:58 »
Sadly,Tony I don't have any pics.I am still getting my head round computer jargon,a digital camera would spook me!!

However I do know a couple of people with one so you never know.Teresa has posted pics on the appropriate site.I am sure she will be able to advise.

The only reason i got you to come on here was to find out your age.!!! Now i know!!Trouble is you can also find out mine.Never mind,with maturity comes experience......In fish keeping.

I had a feeling the only reason you could only post every few days was because you were at work.You don't have one at home then?
Margaret

Anthony

• Half Acre
:)Re: Just a quick note to say Hello I'm here!!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2003, 19:29:17 »
I do have a PC rigged up to the net at home but I generally find that when I'm not in work I'm either out in the back watching the fish :) or keeping the 11 year old quiet!! ......and then there is the fact that I'm with AOL and the connection speed can leave alot to be desired at times.

I can't believe you have 18" Orfe.  That is some achievement and I dare say you will need one heck of a sized pond to keep them happy in.  I know what you mean about them jumping out of the water for the food.  Alas I think I'll have to wait till next spring at the earliest to see mine do it again!

Not sure if I mentioned it on the bbc site previously but I've worked out that I can probably extend the bottom section of mine to about 10 foot by 5 foot and as deep as I can be bothered digging!!  I'll see what I feel like next year!

If I get chance I'll post the piccies (watch this space)

Right back to work again :(  Here till around six tonight.

tony

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2003, 19:41:50 »
Hi Tony,

If you look on this board for the thread Teresa's baby
you will see my koi have him as a screensaver.
Havent quite worked out how to send pic.
But at the top of the page it says please email admin well he is Dan lovely chap I sent a email with the photo and he sorted it.
You could send him a email and ask how to do it. I have only just worked out how to use the dig camera.
But welcome to the open all hours board lovely group of people here enjoy.
Teresa
P/s how do you keep a 11year old quiet? mine 31 and 22 and at times they might as well be five year olds. Oh yes I have boys?

Anthony

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2003, 17:19:14 »
Thanks for the advice Teressa, I don't think there has been a Digital Camera invented with a strong enough zoom lens to take a picture of my fish without making them look like anything other than tiny specs!  I guess If I put them all together in a bucket you might get a flash of orange but that would be about it :)  If I get chance, I'll probably just settle for taking a picture of the pond itself!  (I won't feel as left out that way!!)

The pond temp has now dropped to between 4 & 8 degrees so I've finally called it a day with the food for this year!  I do have several bags of live still left so I'm toying with the idea of throwing it in the middle section (Plants only in there) as aposed to just throwing it away!

The 11 year old is generally kept quite using a combination of the Playstaion, and/or threats and bribes!  He started secondary school in September so we're hoping the addtional dicipline and responsibility may calm him down a bit! (He is fairly well behaved most of the time!!)

Margaret

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2003, 01:57:53 »
Hi Tony.In both my ponds there is a fair bit of insect life that lives,and I suppose,breeds all year round.If the fish want to forage in winter on this natural food,then they have that opportunity.I do not know if bloodworm and daphnia would survive in the cold water as one associates them with the warm summers,but you would not do the fish or the ponds any harm if you tipped what you have left in the two sections with fish.Better that than they die in the middle section and possibly pollute it.
Glad to hear you can improve on the bottom section too.Gets compulsive,this fish thing,doesn't it?!!!
Margaret

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal