Author Topic: Xmas dinner for 2?  (Read 2265 times)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
Xmas dinner for 2?
« on: November 16, 2007, 12:58:47 »
Normally we have more than the 2 of us for Xmas dinner, but this year all the family are not coming until Boxing day. I think I will be cooking something exciting when we have a house full but I don't really have any good ideas for Xmas dinner. The cost doesn't really matter (within reason).

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: Xmas dinner for 2?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 13:06:39 »
Sparkly, we are finding ourselves as 7 this year instead of our normal 24ish!
OH decided last night that we will be having fillet steak and bearnaise sauce as a treat! ;D 
Friends of ours only have themselves and their 2 lads most Christmas days, and they usually make a curry! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 13:27:00 »
How about a partridge each?

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 14:00:43 »
you could just go to a good butcher and get a turkey brest and stuff this with lemon butter and slices of mushroom ( reconsituted in something boozy if your using dried ) Dip the turkey flesh lemon zest and frozen grated butter and wrap in streaky bacon and serve with roast potatoes, parsnips and chestnuts, usual veg and stuffing. Instead of gravy you can make a white sauce and add some blue cheese to add some zing.

You could also make a one pot dinner which needs very little work like Coq au vin again going to the butcher order a older chicken or rooster and have it quartered. Served with creamy mash and veg or rice.

You could just focus more of deserts and have club sandwiches ( as you fancy but i would recomend bacon, chicken and avacado with crisp salad or turkey, ham and bubble and squeeke made with sprouts ) and then follow this with loads of cakes.

You could book into a local place for a meal cooked for you :) then you have no washing up!

It comes down to how much time you want to spend in the kitchen and what you feel you would like, if you did not have the full christmas dinner would you feel that you missed out??

Cambourne7

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 18:42:50 »
How about a partridge each?

you meanie  ;D  ;D a partridge each is ok if they eat like birds themselves  :o

book a fine restaurant, splash out, have some champagne, treat yourselves to some quality time, chill out and relax

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 19:03:45 »
I enjoy cooking so don't mind the spending the time on it. As it is just the 2 of us, we won't be spending much time opening presents or playing party type games (save that all for the next day). I can't help thinking Xmas day may be a bit of a let down without us having a focus to the day. Perhaps I may make us bacon and eggs in the morning. We could then cook the dinner together. OH likes cooking too so it would be something nice to do together.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 20:01:33 »
Basically, with just the two of you it will be like another Sunday roast later in the week, if you go for the turkey and trimmings.

Why don't you go for something different.  Have a small main course, and a tasty starter and pudding (NOT Christmas).  For example something seafoody for the starter, a steak or chicken breast fillet, or rack of lamb with veg for the main course, and a light sweet.  In my case I've got some of this year's raspberries in the freezer.

James Martin in his series of TV programmes on sweets made cheats ice cream. He froze some slices of banana, put some yoghurt in a food processor and added the banana slices, whizzed them up and hey presto instant banana ice cream.  I was thinking I could do something similar with my raspberries.

Have a look at local restaurant menus, and see if there is anything you fancy, make a note, and do your own version.

valmarg

tin can

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 20:50:45 »
Toasted brown bread....-fresh wildmushrooms sauteed in garlic butter and a splosh of champagne and thick cream ....topped with a piece of smoked salmon as a quick/yummy/special starter????
By the time you have finished the bottle, you won't care what's for the main course!!!! ;) ;D

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 21:53:19 »
toast'n'beans ...you can never go wrong there ;D
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 21:57:56 »
I'd go for game as well.  How about braised pheasant breast with wild mushrooms?  It can be prepared in advance.  Splash out on the wine as well, a good burgundy would go a treat with it, or a quality Bordeaux.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 22:05:16 »
I copy my sister's Christmas morning breakfast standby. Her family arrive in stages during the morning and they all get served eggs benedict. I find it to be a delightful, filling meal which takes us through to a late Christmas dinner at around 4pm.

Tricia

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 14:52:50 »
We have friends who live in't Yorkshire Dales who have a really good walk or cycle then home for egg and chips. :P
Smile, it confuses people.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal