Author Topic: new allotment (part 2)  (Read 1383 times)

flowergirl

• Half Acre
  • i'm not the pretty blonde
new allotment (part 2)
« on: November 10, 2007, 17:32:33 »
Thanks for all your advice on the previous post....HOWEVER what I thought was just grass turned out to be millions and squillions of brambles and nettles at the top end of the plot.  Perhaps about 10m x 13m. The allotment hasn't been touched for years, well a local high school had it last year and they cleared 2/3's but then lost interest.  I have been busy all day cutting them down with only a pair of sheers I pulled up a lot but the roots go on for miles and miles and miles,  infact i tried to put a fork in the ground and couldn't as the roots wouldn't let me penetrate the soil.  Any idea's on how I can kill these babies for good?  I don't mind if i can't grow on this bit of land for a while as most of it will be made into a BBQ patio area where I plan to grow in pots.  Any responses greatly appreciated x :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: new allotment (part 2)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 17:58:45 »
Amcide... it is what the forestry commission use to clear undergrowth for tree planting... can't be sown/planted in for 6months...
Can get it from Chase organics but best applied to new growth... IE all the new shoots that spring up from the roots in Spring!

;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 22:53:21 »
If you can't get through the roots with a fork, a mattock would be one way. Alternatively, as brambles are deep rooted, you could black plastic it for 12 months while you work on the rest of the plot.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 08:08:23 »
cut it down as far as you can, cover in thick cardboard, black plastic and an old carpet, it worked on some for us, we didn't even take the stuff off, just paved over it  ;D

flowergirl

• Half Acre
  • i'm not the pretty blonde
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 17:59:42 »
Oh my word!!! discovered ruins of a small village it seems under the growth!! A small village with a obsession with rubber matting and cage type sheets...God help me. Might have bitten off more than I can chew :'(

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 18:32:42 »
Those metal grid sheets are worth there weight in gold if you have cats / rabbits / foxes scratting about... have you found the Brick and broken glass mines yet? Most allotments have one or both..
 :-X

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 20:52:51 »
...God help me. Might have bitten off more than I can chew :'(

Stick at it girl!!! I cannot begin to tell you how many times I threw the fork across the plot and swore like mad!!!  :o ::) I was CONVINCED I was going to fail, it isn't always easy but you WILL get there.  ;D
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 02:56:39 »
 ;D Sound familiar !! we had one plot that had a HUGE mound in the middle !! no one knew what it was and when i started to dig it i found over 200 whole eggs, several old boots, toy cars, ending up witha 10 x 8 shed at the bottom  ;D it was an experience but i dont think you can get a new shed from the remains of an old one  :D
We found out a lady used to feed the foxes eggs and they buried them in the pile !! had to be VERY careful not to break them as they stunk  :P
Keep going and work back to the bad bit later, get something in the ground to give you a boost :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal