Author Topic: Allotments in Nottingham  (Read 9700 times)

meandmine

• Not So New ...
Allotments in Nottingham
« on: November 10, 2007, 18:56:31 »
Hello, I'm a complete newby to this site, as well as allotments!
I've been thinking of getting an allotment for my family to use for some time but have been trying to find out more about the work involved before we take the plunge.
I THINK we're ready now so I've started the ball rolling by emailing our local council (yesterday) to enquire about vacant plots but I stumbled across this site and wondered if anyone could tell me where allotments are located in our area, we're in the NG5 area of Nottingham.
Thanks for reading.
Sharon

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Allotments in Nottingham
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 08:10:09 »
hiya, sharon, welcome to the site..sorry, we're not in the nottingham area but I'm sure someone will be along soon who is  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 09:06:21 »
I'm in Derby but there are several A4A members in Nottingham... we should arrange a Midlands meet some time: Welcome to the madhouse and hope you don't end up on a long waiting list...
 ;D

If you scroll down through the East Midlands section in this thread/area you should find out who and where they are!
 ;D

meandmine

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 11:01:53 »
Thanks for the welcome you two  :)
This site is great, I'm especially enjoying seeing people's before and after pictures (also getting feelings of terror when looking at some of the before pics lol).

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 11:03:23 »
You'll have to be more specific ( maybe by PM). NG5 covers from Sherwood through Arnold all the way out to Papplewick. I do know the sites in Nottingham City, but depending on exactly where you are, your nearest might not be within the City boundaries.
If you're in Sherwood, then Bagthorpe is favourite, although they may be faull. We have many tenants from NG5 at our site next to the tram stop on Wilkinson St, Whitemoor. PM me whereabouts you live and I'll try and help.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 11:29:01 »
Ay up ma duck,wellcome to A4A i live in Notts the ng4 bit..Carlton,where in Notts is the ng5 bit. ???

A pint and a Bakewell tart sounds nice Saddad, I'm up for a Midlands meet. ;D

djbrenton next time you see a tram go by your plot give it a wave and I'll ding me bell. ;)

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 12:52:42 »
There are two great real ale pubs by the station for the Public Transport people!!
 ;D

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 22:21:38 »
I presume one of the pubs you're referring to is ( or used to be ) the Brunswick Arms. Many years ago I took the train to Derby and spent the afternoon in there. I had 1/2 pint of each of the beers before realising they were changing them as fast as I could drink them. Apparently the wife ran the pub while the husband spent all week going to small breweries buying one barrel of each of their ales so they could get through 30 or 40 varieties in a week. A hundred yard walk and then a train home, what more could you want.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 22:39:52 »
Also =  it depends which end of Bestwood you're at. There are allotments off Heathfield Road ( between Ventnor Rise and Staplehurst Drive) . Look for a driveway between the houses. Any allotments at the other side of Bestwood fall into the County rather than City Council as they are in Arnold.

meandmine

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 00:43:37 »
Thanks for that djbrenton, those allotments are really close to us  :)
Do you think it would be rude if I popped down and had a bit of a nosey?  I don't want to upset anybody.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 07:57:41 »
That's right DJB and now it brews a considerable range of its own beers, about 20 yards round the corner is the Alex which has a complementary range of @ 12 beers most days... and it has overnight Accomodation!!!
 ;D

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 08:38:27 »
If the accomodation's upstairs then it's just never going to work as a plan.

It's never rude popping in at allotments Sharon. I don't know what sort of gate there is (locked in the day or not) but I'd go earlyish in the day as that's when lots of people arrive. Just tell them you're interested in a plot and see if you can have a look around. Someone will tell you who best to see.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 08:40:54 by djbrenton »

meandmine

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 12:23:26 »
Thanks  :)  I popped down to have a nosey this morning but, although there were people there, we didn't get past the gates.
When I got home I'd received an email from the council saying that there weren't any sites near me  ???  and the nearest ones were run by an association in Bulwell.  I popped down there for a nosey and a lovely man let us in, showed us round and even gave us some of his Brussels  :) (my favourite veg.)  It's a bit further away than I'd hoped for but it seems a very friendly place to be so I'm going to give the association a ring in a minute to see if they've got a spare half plot.  Fingers crossed!

RosieMcPosie

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 12:30:35 »
Good luck to you!
it sounds like a really nice friendly place so maybe it'll be worth  going the extra distance, cos it sounds alot more friendly than the first one you tried to visit  :-\
keep us posted!!  :D
proud owner of a lottie since August 2007!

meandmine

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 12:50:46 »
Thanks Rosie, I'll definitely keep you posted  :)
I've left a message on the association man's answering machine so I'm just waiting to hear now.  It's only been about twenty minutes since I left the message and I'm tense with waiting already lol

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 13:06:31 »
Fingers are crossed for you M&M - also, welcome.  Let us know when you hear anything.
Twinkletoes

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 13:36:18 »
I'm in NG9, and think a friendly site is worth it even though it is a bit further away. I'm lucky in that my site is very friendly but my mums site is another matter  :(
I hope you don't have too long a wait.

P.S. Check the phone every ten minutes to make sure it hasn't broken  ;D ;D ;D
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

meandmine

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 13:44:14 »
Thanks you lot  :)  I definitely think the friendliness of the place is worth the extra distance.
I'm still waiting for the phone to ring (and I've checked all three sockets to make sure the phone is working lol).

meandmine

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 13:46:57 »
To kill another couple of minutes while I'm waiting for the phone to ring I'll pop some pictures of my dogs on the pet photos bit.

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 14:20:54 »
hiya meandmine
I have a plot on the Whitemoor site and it's very friendly! (and handy for the trams). Sorry to hear you couldn't get in...it is a bit like Fort Knox from the outside...you could try popping down on Sat morning if you have the chance as the gates/shop are open then and you can have a chat to the very nice peope who run it.

I don't know if there are any plots left as the new tenancies have all just started, but you never know.

Good luck wherever you end up. You won't regret it.

:)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 14:32:53 by electric landlady »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal