Author Topic: Paulownia tomentosa  (Read 1327 times)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
Paulownia tomentosa
« on: November 07, 2007, 12:43:56 »
Have you ever 'lusted' after a plant ???  :-X :o ;D

Well this is mine !!

Now if any one you have one of these ............... Please can I have some seeds !!
Flo  ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

ipt8

• Hectare
Re: Paulownia tomentosa
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 17:54:05 »
I tried to grow this from seed that I got from the RHS but no luck. Looks like you know what to put on Santas list then. 8)

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 20:40:53 »
We have one, but since we pollard it severely for the huge elephant's ears leaves, it does not actually flower. Supposedly, if one damages a root it suckers and then one can propagate it that way. I have never tried that. The book also says cuttings in Summer. Tried that without success. They are available as trees from The Dingle Nursery in Welshpool, but are quite expensive.
The seeds need light to germinate so if you coverd them with compost that may have been why they did not come up.
Oh and another thought. They do not flower like that until they are fully mature trees, say 60 foot plus?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 20:45:25 by Palustris »
Gardening is the great leveller.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 05:35:20 »
They will flower profusely when 25 - 30 ft tall, say 6 - 8 years old. ::)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 17:29:02 »
That's what I was going to say  :D ... I have to drive past this tree every time I go into town  :-X   ... it's only 6 or so years old and it flowers it's socks off  ;D  ... will get a picci in the spring ... it is soooooo lovely ... and later the leaves are huuuuge!!  ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal