Author Topic: can you identify?  (Read 1431 times)

tartonterro

• Acre
can you identify?
« on: November 07, 2007, 18:50:05 »
trying to identify the following plant/weed that is all over my allotment, and keeps coming back
any ideas and suggestions on how to get rid of would be greatly appreciated

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: can you identify?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 19:11:46 »
could be creeping buttercup, keep digging it up if it is, spreads like a strawberry runner, bit of a b*gger  :)

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 19:28:41 »
you got it in one, just googled it and thats the stuff i have,
now all i need to find out is how to get rid of it

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 19:32:08 »
luckily, if you keep digging up the runners, they can be a bit tough, they will disappear but you do have to keep at it, better than bindweed  ;D

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 19:35:38 »
gona try a combination of digging up and using my weed wand, try weaken what i cant get dug out straight away - hopefuly frost etc might finish it off for me

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 11:53:35 »
Hi,

frost will slow it down but not kill it off.  It's a british native so quite used to surviving our winters.  It's chemical or manual options for this one.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 16:32:29 »
Its a meadow land plant and I believe it comes on to the plot via farm yard manure i.e. undigested buttercup seed.

I have given up using weedkiller on it as I find it a waste of time (and too expensive) because the next year when I dig in my manure, I find it just defeats the objective.

During winter digging I bag it up and take it to the dump, I don't compost it.

I find hoeing is the best way to keep it in check, particularly at the start of the season as it is emerging.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 17:03:37 »
It's a cunning weed - if you grab the leaves and pull, they break away from the growing point and the roots, and leave everything in the ground needed to grow again. I use a sharp knife to slice through the roots underneath the growing point as I pull at the leaves. You can leave the white roots in the ground to rot. I compost the plants in tied plastic bags for a year. It is very satisfying tipping out a bag of stone dead buttercup, couch, nettles, bindweed etc, and enriching the ground with it.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 10:23:50 »
You have to get everything out down to the growing points; don't worry too much about the roots. Be persistent; it's not deep rooted, but it will come back from the least little bit. It seeds as well. I had it everywhere at one point, but there's very little now.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal