Author Topic: Passiflora Caerulea  (Read 1271 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Passiflora Caerulea
« on: November 08, 2007, 20:40:15 »
Last year I collected seeds from the ripe fruits of my Passiflora and had very good germination rates.  This year I promised seeds to a couple of people on here when the fruits were ripe.  I've picked two so far but both have been completely seedless.  Can anyone suggest why this might be?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Passiflora Caerulea
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 21:25:35 »
In some places these will not always self pollinate, whether this has anything to do with the climate is anybodies guess.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 07:52:50 »
I'm with Ace... Pollination problems.. struggled even to get courgettes pollinated this year, unless I did it myself (with a male flower!)
 ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 13:13:21 »
Sorry but I don't understand.  Surely if the plant has produced fruit then it must have been pollinated?  It's the lack of seed inside the fruit that is puzzling me.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 14:06:53 »
Most "fruit" are actually false fruit botanically... think like seedless grapes.. some plants produce the false fruit that we eat even if the actual seeds, think orange or apple pips, are not formed..
 :)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 15:07:00 »
Oh I see. Thanks.  :)

G x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal